What size cable would i need! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What size cable would i need! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jasonwills

I have recently purchased an old farm house and i'm presently renovating it. There is no electricity supply and i have had quotes from different suppliers, they are all really expensive. I do have a pole mounted transformer in one of my fields about 600 meters from the house and was thinking i would run armoured cable underground to it and build an outbuilding for them to house a connection. Do you think that would be possible, and if so what size cable would i need to use to acheive that! Thanks, Jason

PMR = Product Market Regulation or Profoundly Mentally Retarded

OYT = Off Ya Tree or Okay, Your Turn

If you're going to use acronyms, use internationally recognised ones.

The international acronym dictionary came up with a brilliant one for PMR, but I’m not been banned again.

Was it better than Pimp My Ride?

Its good to hear you can turn your hand to bricklaying, unfortinately face brickwork isnt quite as simple as just plonking one brick on top of another, for instance if you were building a wall in flemish bond, on alternite courses what would you lay next to the header at the start of the course, try to refrain from google'in it taffy!

Its good to hear you can turn your hand to bricklaying, unfortinately face brickwork isnt quite as simple as just plonking one brick on top of another, for instance if you were building a wall in flemish bond, on alternite courses what would you lay next to the header at the start of the course, try to refrain from google'in it taffy!

I guess the irony was lost on you then!:nonod:

Last edited:

My dad's harder than your dad hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad's harder than your dad hehe

Exactly Trev, well at least he didnt reply with what he had googled, yes the answer is a Queens closier taff, its not quite as simple a job as one would think, and plonking bricks on top of each other will hardly get the desired result from your client. I appreciate electrical work is not straight forward, but im in the learning stages at present, and at least im honest and say so!

TAFFY you missed outa vital line in your brick laying there " place one row of bricks down SLAP SOME MUCK ON THEM then place next layer on top " Sorted

OR you could get one of those things from shopping channel to assist you theres a video n everything you need in the kit except the bricks and mortar of course

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not happen anymore but......
25 years ago my dad bought a very remote property in Wales. No water, gas, electricity anywhere near. Manweb quoted £16k for a supply which he couldn't afford. He also asked bt how much a phone line would be and they quoted £90 + VAT, their set charge nationally. For this £100 bt erected a number of poles and brought their cable to his house. He then re-approached Manweb who requoted around £3k as the poles were in situ!

Most general builders are spawned from bricklayers,sorry to admit, but a lot of them I have known were no idiots, their skills easily match or better those required of most domestic sparking

The problem for them being,our trade has only just acquired the unskilled and cowboys to tarnish this trade, where they have had those same problems tarnishing their image for eons

This may not happen anymore but......
25 years ago my dad bought a very remote property in Wales. No water, gas, electricity anywhere near. Manweb quoted £16k for a supply which he couldn't afford. He also asked bt how much a phone line would be and they quoted £90 + VAT, their set charge nationally. For this £100 bt erected a number of poles and brought their cable to his house. He then re-approached Manweb who requoted around £3k as the poles were in situ!

Living in rural Wales I can assure you it doesn`t happen that way anymore I`m afraid. Last supply to a barn conversion I organised about 2 years ago was £25K, ouch. JasonWills, I was only joking mate, this forum is full of people who post questions who clearly shouldn`t be let loose with a screwdriver and who`s entire electrical knowledge comes from a B&Q "what can you do" leaflet or a 4 week course which is much the same level. Your obviously aware that with electrics its not just a matter of throwing in a few wires, turning on the power and hoping it doesn`t go bang, just as I am aware that although I can get a simple brick wall to stand up and look decent enough doesn`t make me a bricky. So no insult was intended and I hope none taken.

Last edited:
Most general builders are spawned from bricklayers,sorry to admit, but a lot of them I have known were no idiots, their skills easily match or better those required of most domestic sparking

The problem for them being,our trade has only just acquired the unskilled and cowboys to tarnish this trade, where they have had those same problems tarnishing their image for eons

I disagree with the "just acquired" bit. Cowboys have been a part of the electrical business for decades. Anyone could call themselves an electrician with no experience ,checks, insurance, proper tools or test equipment and the knowledge to use it. Cowboys are nothing new which is a fact evident by the constant stream of bodged jobs I have to repair from years ago. The difference now is the "cowboys" can too easily get a badge from NIC, ECA etc to make themselves look legitimate. At least they will have PL insurance though which is one good thing, possibly the only one to come out of Part P

Living in rural Wales I can assure you it doesn`t happen that way anymore I`m afraid. Last supply to a barn conversion I organised about 2 years ago was £25K, ouch. JasonWills, I was only joking mate, this forum is full of people who post questions who clearly shouldn`t be let loose with a screwdriver and who`s entire electrical knowledge comes from a B&Q "what can you do" leaflet or a 4 week course which is much the same level. Your obviously aware that with electrics its not just a matter of throwing in a few wires, turning on the power and hoping it doesn`t go bang, just as I am aware that although I can get a simple brick wall to stand up and look decent enough doesn`t make me a bricky. So no insult was intended and I hope none taken.

Im pretty thick skinned Taffy so none was taken. Yes i do know its not that straight foreward, ive been working alongside the qualified electrician ive contracted to do the job all week, wiring in the whole house and adjoining barn conversion which is now the lounge with an open plan mezannine flooring at one end as an added bedroom, ive been doing some of the simple stuff like wiring in the sockets, emersion heater ect, its a bit of a mine field trying to remember the different thickness of wire required for lights compared to cooker or electric shower in the bathroom, but its all good really. I would like to thank everyone who has posted their replies though as it has been very helpfull!

Reply to What size cable would i need! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net