What would you do here. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What would you do here. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy5678

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looking at this job, I haven’t touched anything yet so any faults you find are nothing to do with me.

The top switched fuse feeds a CU in the house.

The bottom one is old and the customer would like to use it for another CU in an out building. A 16mm SWA has been run to the box.

Now I am struggling how to think about terminating it all and doing a neat job.

First thing would be to seal the hole and stop the snails.

I’m not sure about using the old switch fuse as the holes cut out on the top don’t look right and is a cover missing? I have seen new ones of these available from wholesalers so that could be an option. But could be a tight squeeze.

There is room for a second meter box along side which could house the 2 switches or just the the second one and then would just need to worry about getting meter tails through.

Would like to hear your thoughts so I can come up with a plan.

Thanks.

[ElectriciansForums.net] What would you do here.

Yes and then have the metallic fused switches. Not sure about running tails from box to box. Not sure what’s the largest diamater of conduit/copex available to fit 2 x 25mm tails plus 16mm earth.

I'd get rid of both the switches and install DP isolator switches. Power the out building the usual way. I don't see the purpose of multiple cut out fuses.

Why is the bottom switch not used? Could it be defective (possibly damp / moisture ingress?) and they’ve just left it place and fitted new one above?
I know you’d rather keep the fused switches ,but Could you not install a small DB with a main switch and two 63amp mcbs, so you’ve got isolation and overcurrent protection for both out going cables and you don’t have faff on with Henley blocks or try to link those old fused switches together?

I prefer switch fuses for discrimination.
Was just thinking out aloud with that idea, was thinking of the tidiest way to do it, but of course Zs readings etc would have to be taken into account for suitability of protective device.

Nothing would be said,as a vast number of the people fitting them,would not be aware of a problem,if there were a nest of snakes at the bottom,and the top was on fire...

Well to be fair these meter guys are under pressure to fit certain number of meters per day. They don't waste time poking around the consumers side or looking for defects with the exception of gas leaks.

Well to be fair these meter guys are under pressure to fit certain number of meters per day. They don't waste time poking around the consumers side or looking for defects with the exception of gas leaks.

They have to fill in what I think is called a MOPs report which is a meter operators sheet where they note any defects or queries to the existing equipment. They waste a lot of DNO time reporting exposed conductive parts in the cutout, what the rest of us would call the pme terminal. Each report has to be investigated.

This used to be economy 7 where the CUs are remote from the meter box and so require KMFs due to distance.
The bottom one was for the off peak which has become obsolete probably due to gas central heating replacing electric storage heating.
That is a British Gas smart meter and electric is not their strong point.

Reply to What would you do here. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net