who's responsibilty? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss who's responsibilty? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this guys, but just who's responsibility is it to notify notifiable works is it? Something in my memory tells me that it is the home owner, so if this is the case, why don't we sidestep the schemes, issue the certificates, and let them sort it out?

I know there is a logical answer, but not doing domestic works, or being registered, I just thought I'd throw this one out knowing I'm wrong, but also knowing you're all just dying to post about this!

Happy days comrades.

The way it works is that i simply fill out an on-line form on the NAPIT website and a few weeks later a A5 cert arrives. NAPIT apparently notify building control on my behalf. So its my responsibility to put the job on the website, otherwise nothing would happen.

the reason is that if the installer is not a scam member, then the work needs notifying before being carried out, and then the LABC will do a few minutes on the office computer, generate a building notice, then bill you for about £300.

That's what i thought too, so can the schemes be bypassed then? I.e. do the job, write the certificate, leave with home owner, job done?

I know that there is a reason that it doesn't work this way, I just want to know why that is.

Cheers
well....is a homeowner going to pay the LABC £180-£220....or whatever it is?....no, they just wont bother.....probably take the family down to TGI fridays instead...lol...

I know about the charges, i was just wondering what that has got to do with the spark doing the work if it's the homeowners responsibility to notify?

Tell me to shut up if I'm doing your head in!
well one way or another.....the LABC has to be notified for ...well, work that requires notifying with them....thats the way it is....so you can either pay your fees and join a scheme...or notify yourself direct to the LABC...which will cost you more.....or tell the client they will have to notify it.....at which point they will probably tell you to F*** off...so by being in a scheme you are offering a complete package to a client.....they dont want the fuss of notifying this..and ringing that.......suppose its the same as buying summat from a shop....you like it...so you buy it....pay for it and its yours....no more hassle.....

Last edited by a moderator:
and that's why part p is the biggest cock-up since the charge of the light brigade. a fully qualified , competent, experienced spark who is not a scheme member can't do domestic work, but an ex burger flipper who has had a 5 week course and joined a scam, but has less electrical knowledge than a goldfish is allowed to get away with dangerous work.

It seems you could do more or less what you are suggesting

Tell the customer they have responsibility to notify, let them decide if they want to do so or ignore the nonsense, or they can get a registered spark to do the notifying for them

No involvement,no scams, no dealings with the Labc,must be attractive to many

It seems you could do more or less what you are suggesting

Tell the customer they have responsibility to notify, let them decide if they want to do so or ignore the nonsense, or they can get a registered spark to do the notifying for them

No involvement,no scams, no dealings with the Labc,must be attractive to many

That's what i am suggesting. It's not the sparkies responsibility, not his problem. Let the LABC chase the homeowner. Exploit the loopholes in the system.

Well reading my green book Electricians Guide to Building regs and sections
1.4.1 Registered Comepetent Enterprise
1.4.2. Un-registered competent person
1.4.3 Unqualified installers

all state that it is the electrician or diyer that is responsible for notifying building control, difference for registered guys is that they don't have to do it in advance and the scheme forwards the compliance statement to LABC after ensuring the guys is competent.
Homeowner is not mentioned

isnt that a 17th edition question
the installer should notify works within part p requirements
if hes not registered he should notify building control and pay there premium he must also hold 2391 testing qualification
i know alot of ex subbies who do there own work and are not registered no insurances etc etc it still goes on

It's the housholder, or person ordering the work that is responsible for notification.
This can be achieved either through prior notification etc. or by employing an electrician registered with a competent persons scheme.

have we reached any consensus over who is responsible and whether it is viable to loosen the stranglehold the part p nonsense has over the domestic sector by letting the householder do the notification while the sparkies get on with the job?

have we reached any consensus over who is responsible and whether it is viable to loosen the stranglehold the part p nonsense has over the domestic sector by letting the householder do the notification while the sparkies get on with the job?

Spin has it in a nutshell, by employing you to carry out the notifiable electrical work in their property, the householder is placing the onus on you to complete all aspects of the job i.e, notification on completion.

Reply to who's responsibilty? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net