Wi fi/ internet upgrade | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wi fi/ internet upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Need to upgrade the wi fi/internet stuff at my place. I thought that there was a dedicated forum for this kind of stuff, but it seems I'm mistaken, so I'll stick it in the general forum, where I hope it'll be seen (or ridiculed) by some of our more knowledgeable members on the subject.
The pic attached shows what I already have in black, and my ideas for the additions in orange.
Originally a router in the loft was fed by a microwave link, but that was replaced a few years ago by a BT fibre optic cable, optical interface, and a standard BT wi fi router.
Initial questions:
a) The 41m length of data cable , between the old and the new, goes outdoors, so will be polypropylene.
It includes an 8m overhead section between two buildings. Do you think that this will be OK self supporting, with BT type steel wire spiral things wound onto each end for anchorage, or should it be cable tied to a catenary wire?
b) Any suggestions for the three ceiling mounted wifi routers? Don't need to be anything special - just for normal domestic phone stuff and smart TVs, and can all have the same password, sharing it with the existing external router.
c) Network switch C is close to a power source, so is there a type that can supply POE to the three routers? Power isn't immediately handy to network switch B, so can that be replaced and powered by POE from switch C?
d) That brings me to the 3 cameras I would like to add, where my knowledge is even more sparse. These will all be external cameras, with IR illuminators.
Do the two on the right just plug into the network switch, or is it more complicated than that?
Similarly, does the one outside the loft just plug into network switch A, via a POE injector?
The recorder and monitor will be near one of the two hard wired TVs. Will the camera signals find their way there, and how do they connect into the shared cable?

That'll d for a start, until someone tells me it'll all work as described or I haven't got a clue. Thanks in advance.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Wi fi/ internet upgrade

Need to upgrade the wi fi/internet stuff at my place. I thought that there was a dedicated forum for this kind of stuff, but it seems I'm mistaken, so I'll stick it in the general forum, where I hope it'll be seen (or ridiculed) by some of our more knowledgeable members on the subject.
The pic attached shows what I already have in black, and my ideas for the additions in orange.
Originally a router in the loft was fed by a microwave link, but that was replaced a few years ago by a BT fibre optic cable, optical interface, and a standard BT wi fi router.
Initial questions:
a) The 41m length of data cable , between the old and the new, goes outdoors, so will be polypropylene.
It includes an 8m overhead section between two buildings. Do you think that this will be OK self supporting, with BT type steel wire spiral things wound onto each end for anchorage, or should it be cable tied to a catenary wire?
b) Any suggestions for the three ceiling mounted wifi routers? Don't need to be anything special - just for normal domestic phone stuff and smart TVs, and can all have the same password, sharing it with the existing external router.
c) Network switch C is close to a power source, so is there a type that can supply POE to the three routers?

Power isn't immediately handy to network switch B, so can that be replaced and powered by POE from switch C?

No but it can be powered from an upstream switch though so that would be Switch A Switch B would need to be a POE pass through switch.

d) That brings me to the 3 cameras I would like to add, where my knowledge is even more sparse. These will all be external cameras, with IR illuminators.
Do the two on the right just plug into the network switch, or is it more complicated than that?
Similarly, does the one outside the loft just plug into network switch A, via a POE injector?
The recorder and monitor will be near one of the two hard wired TVs. Will the camera signals find their way there, and how do they connect into the shared cable?

That'll d for a start, until someone tells me it'll all work as described or I haven't got a clue. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 118305

Best not to daisy chain switches, you don't state the bandwidth of the switches you have but what I would recommend is you buy a new backbone switch for switch A, switch B and switch C should then connect to Switch A.

Reply to Wi fi/ internet upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net