Widening downlight holes | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Widening downlight holes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Did a job the other week, where customer wanted downlights replacing with new ones, The hole cut outs needed widening about 20mm to accomodate the new lights.
However it was virtually impossible to widen them with a holesaw because it just kept sliding off in all directions because obviously with a hole already there the central drill in the holesaw wouldnt keep it centralised in place.
I ended up having to do each one manually with a pad saw, which was very time consuming as it was a lathe and plaster ceiling.
Do any of you know any tricks to get around this problem so the job can be done quickly with a holesaw ??

Thanks in advance

You can always make a thingamabob out of a couple of bits of scrap wood. Might not be worth it for one or two holes though.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Widening downlight holes

Just use the all new JLM hole shrinking tool,avaiable at all good stores
Perfect for reducing holes where other tools cant cope :cool:
is that the all purpose steam cleaner, shrinks everything to half size? £69.99 with all the attachments?

just get a bit of plasterboard, cut a hole in it with the size cutter that you need, then, place this plasterboard over the hole in the ceiling, the bit you have cut will hold the cutter steady till the blade has made an impression, then remove plasterboard and keep cutting,

got top solution, get a pit of scrap plasterboard, bore out the hole u require with hole saw. remove pilot drill from hole cutter, then offer up the template in the scrap bit of plasterboard over old smaller hole, press firmly to ceiling and use hole cutter without the pilot drill in template hole....................stops drill from sliding about, new hole cut perfectly!

Thers a company does R80 covers TELE canny mind the name but they fit where old massive eyeballs were and reduces size to 50w 12v size and look neater than botch celing
yep, i've used them. they can accomodate GU10s as well.

Starret holesaw held at an angle so half of the saw is in the hole, 2 steady hands and slow speed on the drill. Cut all holes at same angle and in same direction. Try pulling the saw back against the existing cut out to keep it steady. Best of luck!!

You could do what my son did ( he's not a sparky) he recently moved into a new house which had badly fitted downlights in his main bedroom. He decided he wanted to remove them and just have a centre light, went in the attic to move the cable and fell through. He's got a lovely new ceiling now ,so if he wanted downlights back he can start anew..

I widened around 20 holes for downlights last night. They were in suspended ceiling tiles not plaster board but the theory is the same. I put the correct size holecutter against the ceiling, gave it a little push to mark the ceiling, then cut out with knife. Easy and fast,and they all fit perfectly.

Reply to Widening downlight holes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net