Currently reading:
Will you vote?

Discuss Will you vote? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Will spoil my voting paper

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It achieves the vast majority of the population casting a vote and the elected government being far more representative of what the people want.

As far as I know there is not a none of the above option as that would be pointless. It is still possible to spoil the ballot paper, it's technically illegal but impossible to prove as the vote is secret.

I'm very much in favour of people turning out to vote, but I'm not sure that forcing someone to express a preference under threat of punishment is at all reasonable.

Spoiling a ballot is meaningless protest. Conversely, voting for 'none of the above' would send a very clear message. In a constituency where only incompetents stand for election people would be able to reject all options.

It achieves the vast majority of the population casting a vote and the elected government being far more representative of what the people want.

As far as I know there is not a none of the above option as that would be pointless. It is still possible to spoil the ballot paper, it's technically illegal but impossible to prove as the vote is secret.
Not sure if you mean UK or Australia, but it is not illegal in the UK

I'm very much in favour of people turning out to vote, but I'm not sure that forcing someone to express a preference under threat of punishment is at all reasonable.

Spoiling a ballot is meaningless protest. Conversely, voting for 'none of the above' would send a very clear message. In a constituency where only incompetents stand for election people would be able to reject all options.
But a protest nonetheless, in the absence of the option to vote for none of the above. In my constituency the Tories have held the seat since absolutely forever and have just lost by a large majority to the Limp-dums, I know anecdotally that this is down to protest voting, the message however would have to be differently analysed had the Con been elected by a slim majority and all those protesters had spoiled their ballots. As it is the LDs can legitimately conclude that their manifesto and declared aims are the most convincing, which I do not think is what the local electorate believes. Therefore by protesting by voting LD we have collectively returned an MP who does not really represent us. This was my thinking for spoiling...A lot of assumptions maybe but honestly the only thing I could have done with a clear conscience. I've never done it before and sincerely hope I'm never in the position to have to do it again.

I think the Australians have got it right in this respect, anyone eligible to vote is required by law to vote and gets a fine if they don't.
They don't get a fine if they give a valid excuse like being ill.

The voting system needs changing, lots of votes are thrown on the scrapheap and count for nothing.

Indeed it does. But what is so funny here is during the 2011 United Kingdom Alternative Vote referendum they campaigned to keep the current FPP system.

Looks like labour are taking the reins then. Lib Dems done better than I thought. Reform may come and go. Will see what they do in the next one. Can't see labour getting another term if they do raise taxes.

Reactions: DPG

Absolutely. What's the sense in forcing someone to vote if there is no particular option they want to vote for. Makes no sense.

If voting is ever made mandatory then there would definitely need to be a 'none of the above' option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Will you vote? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock