Would you bother to change this consumer board? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Would you bother to change this consumer board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi sparkies!

We've got a consumer unit like this:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Would you bother to change this consumer board?

We can get it changed to a more modern one for around £350. I wondered who thinks it is worth it and what benefits a new one would bring if it is worth changing?

Cheers

Max

PS - please let me know if further information is needed.....

Look at it this way a new board would set you up for the future plus increase the safety 100 fold as you will have RCD protection plus there may be circuits doubled up and a new board would help and you may want to upgrade your kitchen or bathroom later. Also its good that you are thinking of this as most homeowners would rather spend that type of money on new wheels for the car or a weekend away.

Yes I hear what you say about 1993 but more like 1983 could be the builder/spark swapped it from their own house so I agree with Telectrix here

- replace extractor fan in kitchen
- some rewiring (i.e. moving sockets) in kitchen

It was when getting quotes for this work that the electrician recommended installing a new consumer unit (and having everything tested).

Your electrician is giving you sound advice. I think you'll have trouble complying with Part P and doing such works on sockets in the kitchen

- remove a light fitting in living room
- remove extractor fan from bathroom

To do that (mainly the kitchen sockets) I would have probably recommended the same & a likely upgrade of your earthing.

You must remember the electrician who is doing the work has to guarantee your safety by issuing a Electrical Installation Certificate, this is an accountable document so he has to make sure your installation is safe and up to standard.

I agree too.

It's pretty hard to put a price on the increase in safety due to RCD protection.

I'm 99% sure that even minor modifications on a socket circuit require it to be brought up to 17th Edition standards (ie circuit must be protected by RCD)

Has it been tested recent? As stated above looks ok BUt what is on inside?.......why are considering changing are you having any work done....If so and new circuits, extensions, bathroom up grades, kitchens, garden installations would require RCD protection so in that case prob cost effective and practical to change whole board.

But dont presume everything ok because it looks good from outside, if you have not ever had a test carried out, or the last test you have paper work for is in 1976.....you might want to have a qualified electrician establish the safety and functionality on your electrical system. If its good then no reason why you cannot keep the board.

As example last job i went on, just needed few addional sockets in kitchen, builder was saying to me "ohhh its alright mate we just need couple sockets just extend it out nothing big"......i said i'll let you know ...on further investigation the fuse board which was exactly same as yours, looked great on inside took cover of and saw this...

View attachment 14272

Builder quickly moved on to HIS jobs and kept very quite. turns out WHOLE house was on one circuit and this i would say was a bad connection as all other cables were fine.......

still good to really see what was going on inside.....customer then said they wondered why they could smell burning last week............i sometimes wonder !
`has it been tested`?...what?..the C/u or the finals and/or subs from it?...

And, if you come to sell ?, well a mates mum is in the process of downsizing, along comes an estate agents clipboard monkey and says it "HAS" to be changed "cos it's the law and it is dangerous" now this may well cos some old dear to move immediatly into the Sunny Dale retirement complex but in this case her departed hubby was an electrical engineer who travelled the globe on assignments and did the leccy install when he built the house,so she had complete faith, and yes, fair comment an RCD is an improvement but not a reason to replace, However that said after a phone call to the ***** with the clipboards boss and a apology was forthcoming, So yes it will increase the saleability and safety of the house as it will go into the home report, any way just a thought on the subject
Pict

Last edited by a moderator:
We have got some work in need of doing. It's mostly quite small bits and pieces:

- remove a light fitting in living room
- remove extractor fan from bathroom

It was when getting quotes for this work that the electrician recommended installing a new consumer unit (and having everything tested).

Many thanks for all the help and replies.

I have often wondered what we did before RCDs that is used for Additional Protection came in vogue.

Yes I can remember the good old days when the hand cart was being pushed around town with characters dressed up to look like a species of bird with a large bell crying bring out your dead, with all these electrocutions, and when the dead were loaded onto the cart for mass burial into lime pits a red 'Ω' was daubed onto the door.

None of the above work requires an EICR, none of the above work, even in a kitchen or a bathroom requires Part P notification.

Totally agree that if the OP was looking within the next couple of years of having the place rewired, fitting a new kitchen that would require extra circuits or other major works then yes a new board would be prudent.

Totally agree that if when the sparks took that cover off and there were burnt cables, 6 circuits into a fuse (Now MCB) carrier then yes a new CU might be prudent.

But for this work, and no future work, for no signs of damage or over loading and unless there is a major design flaw where your Zs values, why is everyone saying "Get it out and put a new one in"?

I have often wondered what we did before RCDs that is used for Additional Protection came in vogue.

Yes I can remember the good old days when the hand cart was being pushed around town with characters dressed up to look like a species of bird with a large bell crying bring out your dead, with all these electrocutions, and when the dead were loaded onto the cart for mass burial into lime pits a red 'Ω' was daubed onto the door.

None of the above work requires an EICR, none of the above work, even in a kitchen or a bathroom requires Part P notification.

Totally agree that if the OP was looking within the next couple of years of having the place rewired, fitting a new kitchen that would require extra circuits or other major works then yes a new board would be prudent.

Totally agree that if when the sparks took that cover off and there were burnt cables, 6 circuits into a fuse (Now MCB) carrier then yes a new CU might be prudent.

But for this work, and no future work, for no signs of damage or over loading and unless there is a major design flaw where your Zs values, why is everyone saying "Get it out and put a new one in"?
i think it was called common sense Malcolm......too much reliance on `magic` RCDs ...where you can go through cables for fun and you dont even have to bother getting a value of loop.......well not a meaningful one anyway....

Reply to Would you bother to change this consumer board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net