18 Days to come qualified | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 18 Days to come qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was amazed when told about this

Bronze: Domestic Installer Course

You even get to pass the test and inspect course.

is this really possible starting with no knowledge

Christ this really is belittling our trade. Now I know why I make a good living of sorting out bodge jobs.

now i'm reminded why i avoid the domestic sector like the plague :)

lifting a picture from the above training link...........

[ElectriciansForums.net] 18 Days to come qualified

well isnt life for the 18dw just peachy ? lol.

perfectly flat walls , in a well lit , clinically clean environment , with convienient tools racks next to your work area...

they should do their assessments in a 100 degC attic full of junk or the basement of any blackpool hotel ,
give them a taste of real life ;-)

Qualified, on paper... Yes
Able to register on a Scheme, Yes according to T4U.
Competent.. NO
Experienced..NO
Capable of working unsupervised..NO
Capable of becoming Self employed with enough income to live..NO
Suitable for employment by others..NO, unless the employer themselves have done a similar course.

This is absolute lunacy. Sheer bloody lunacy. What the hell this has to do with the origins of Part P as a vehicle for improved safety is beyond me. Stop the world, I want to get off.

arn`t you just sick of it...
its high time these domestic installer courses were just swept away....
scraped up and thrown into the bin....where they belong...
i mean that ad keeps screeching about competancy....lolffs...lol...lol..

This is absolute lunacy. Sheer bloody lunacy. What the hell this has to do with the origins of Part P as a vehicle for improved safety is beyond me. Stop the world, I want to get off.

I like the highlighted bit.. Perhaps Alaska! :biggrin:

Out of the 6 people I know who have done a domestic installers course (albeit 6 months in length rather than a few days), 1 was a plumber who wanted to do the electric parts legally, one was an older chap who just wanted to get the knowledge to wire up his garage, he definitely had no intention of becoming a tradesman, 1 was so bad in the training that he will not pass the Napit/elecsa/NIc assessment, another one has yet to take things further (i.e paid work) and the other 2 (myself included) have slowly gained knowledge and skills (through following qualified electricians) before we attempt things beyond our capability (I doubt I shall ever get up to a full rewire by myself, or perhaps in many years to come)

I'm in complete agreement that these short duration courses are completely unacceptable but I'm not sure if a properly qualified spark has a huge amount to worry about in terms of lost business.

As long as people keep going on the courses and paying the thousands they ask for, they will keep on churning them out. After all there is no qualification apart from 17th edition that you need to practice as an electrician in someone's house apparently other than show competency. So as it stands they don't break any rules by offering these courses but obviously something needs to change to stop these leeches, and get people into proper colleges and training for an appropriate amount of time to actually be "competent" in the end.

I like the highlighted bit.. Perhaps Alaska! :biggrin:

Out of the 6 people I know who have done a domestic installers course (albeit 6 months in length rather than a few days), 1 was a plumber who wanted to do the electric parts legally, one was an older chap who just wanted to get the knowledge to wire up his garage, he definitely had no intention of becoming a tradesman, 1 was so bad in the training that he will not pass the Napit/elecsa/NIc assessment, another one has yet to take things further (i.e paid work) and the other 2 (myself included) have slowly gained knowledge and skills (through following qualified electricians) before we attempt things beyond our capability (I doubt I shall ever get up to a full rewire by myself, or perhaps in many years to come)

I'm in complete agreement that these short duration courses are completely unacceptable but I'm not sure if a properly qualified spark has a huge amount to worry about in terms of lost business.

Trouble is it states in the advert that you can rewire after the course

Reply to 18 Days to come qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net