18 Days to come qualified | Page 11 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 18 Days to come qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was amazed when told about this

Bronze: Domestic Installer Course

You even get to pass the test and inspect course.

is this really possible starting with no knowledge

Christ this really is belittling our trade. Now I know why I make a good living of sorting out bodge jobs.

During my time I did 22 weeks at collage in my first year and was day release for the whole of second year and I certainly did not know it all then or now.
But these courses are telling the ill informed or easily duped public that you will be competent and safe to go out into the word after an 18 day course and the money will come rolling in all by itself.

I dread to think how many unsafe and downright dangerous installations men that do these courses install and think is perfectly fine.

If you think of a man that buys a saw,tape measure,tin snips,battery gun and a level and can go out and work with his mate who is a joiner and install the tin and gyproc walls,that is fine as it is not the hardest of jobs to pick up.
The joiner must make sure that his mate knows that if any gyproc boards fall from a height that they could kill any one they land on.

These unskilled men are going into a much more dangerous trade and should be trained and competent to do a good and safe install.
These men will turn out to be bodgers and leave a mess and dangerous fire risk at most installs because they simply don't know any better.
That is for the few that will manage to make a living out of it.

in my opinion to be classed as an approved electrician you should have experience in all fields. Hence 5yrs

To be an approved spark up here it is the four year apprenticeship and then a further two years on the tools before you apply.

They keep changing the rules and making it harder for sparks to get their approved ticket these days - I think the larger employer's don't want to pay an extra pound an hour for someone to do the same job.

I comlpetely agree Guitarist as I've said in my post, but do you think that someone who will only be working within a domestic situation should serve exactly the same length and level of apprenticeship as someone who who will be working within industry and the commercial sector? i.e a lengthy apprenticeship. In other areas of society.. medicine, teaching etc there are different levels of qualifications that dictate what level of work you can undertake. I have very little experience in the electrical industry so I could be completely wrong but I do feel that a shorter course (6 months, full time, working in actual homes with experienced electricians) may be adequate for a Domestic Installers course.

I'd be interested in what the experienced electricians think of that?

I've seen what so-called electricians with minimal training do when confronted with a fault, or something out of the ordinary. Why do you think that these forums are so popular?
Apprenticeships were devised for a reason.

Fully air-conditioned with superb refreshment facilities, easy parking and great public transport links (straight to our front door!)

[ElectriciansForums.net] 18 Days to come qualified

I wouldn't exactly call a Klix machine superb refreshment facilities!

Fully air-conditioned with superb refreshment facilities, easy parking and great public transport links (straight to our front door!)

View attachment 19906

I wouldn't exactly call a Klix machine superb refreshment facilities!

It is all in the wording,if the nearest train station or bus stop is three miles away,they would advertise it as nearby.

I bet the drinks are not free either.
I wonder if they charge you to park? means easy parking.

Reply to 18 Days to come qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net