2.88kw system with 2.5kw inverter ? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2.88kw system with 2.5kw inverter ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Scobo

Hello guys.
1st post here so please be gentle. :tongue3:
Just had a 2.88kw installed this week.
We were meant to get a 3kw Fronius IG Plus but I've just noticed the model number on the base of the inverter says Fronius IG 30 which is rated 2.5kw from what I've read.
The part number is 4,200,003.
Maximum output reading on the inverter so far is just over 2500 watts.
Does anyone know from the part number if this is indeed the lower rated model and if so, would we be better with the Plus model at 3kw ?

In general terms, you should have received what you were quoted for and what you ordered.

Please tell us the number of panels, make, model. Also, your rough location, the orientation and pitch of the roof. Is the inverter in the loft, garage or somewhere else?

depends a little bit where you are in the country and what the orientation of your array is. Your doing pretty well to get 2.5kW at this time of year from a 2.8kW system! The IG plus is more efficient so should have better yields, the IGTL even more so (around 5% more efficient). The inverter you have been given is also signnificantly cheaper than the plus or the TL, so you should have had a price reduction.

Thanks guys.
Roof is south facing, 12 x REC 240Wp panels, inverter is in the loft, not sure about pitch and we're in Fife, Scotland.
I thought 2.5kw was pretty good for this time of year but the the guy who sold us the system said we should definitely hit 2.9kw later in the year with the setup we have.
Just not convinced that our inverter is the Plus model judging from the model number on inverter in which case I don't see how it will go over 2.5kw.

Last edited by a moderator:
TL and plus are more effecient you have IG30 peak 2.65kw but TL and plus may be a little too big.. Swings and roundabouts really..

Yeah, I read in other posts that an inverter rated slightly lower than the max output of the panels is usually recommended so I guess the one we have should be ok in that case.
Just assumed you would need an inverter that at least matched the power output of the panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think it's maybe just been an oversight.
Otherwise the company were great.
They installed it in one day within a week of me contacting them and pulled out all the stops to beat the March deadline.
So you don't think there'd be any great advantage in changing it to the Plus model then ?

Did you get the Fronius 20 year warranty? It shows the manufacturer has confidence in its products. I think a slightly undersized inverter is fine for your location so agree with babba above. The panels have a good reputation - either Swedish or Norwegian I think. It sounds like it's been installed correctly on the electrical side to be producing 2.5kW in early March. Assuming that the roofwork is ok, you should have a decent system for many years - enjoy it.

Fronius International GmbH - Keeping up-to-date - News overview

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.
Yes, I'm sure the guy said the panels are from Norway.
Haven't got the warranty yet but will look into that, cheers.

Haven't got the warranty yet but will look into that, cheers.

Was a warranty extension part of the package your installer offered?
If not then I doubt you would get it as it does have to be paid for. I think the standard warranty is 5 years.

I really don't think the extended warranties are worth the money TBH, they're very expensive.
It's like buying extended warranties on your white goods, just not worth it.

Reply to 2.88kw system with 2.5kw inverter ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net