2.88kw system with 2.5kw inverter ? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2.88kw system with 2.5kw inverter ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sounds good as for the full sun we have had 2 days rain. 253v must have tripped out but at least you know what the problem is now...good luck..

So is it not something I need to worry about as long as its doesn't cut out too often or should I report it to our installer ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your voltage is running at the higher end, I am aware that some DNO's are having problems with over voltage because of PV systems, which, if it keeps cutting the inverter out, you will need to determine if it is a grid problem, or if the inverter is pushing it over the top.
Sure as eggs are eggs, unless you can prove that it is not a fault with your PV system, they will tell you that it is.
I hope this helps.

Thanks earthstore.
Was thinking of getting one of those Owl wireless energy monitors that can download data to a PC so I can see exactly how often it's happening.

An owl is a very basic monitor, good value for money though, but it does depend on where it is attached to your system as to what readings you will get.
My advice would be, (if you are happy to do this) get a volt meter, check the incoming voltage, or at a plug or light switch etc, if reading is say 250v, then shut down your PV system and check again, if you reading is then say 244V, switch the PV system back on (allow the inverter to kick in) then check again, if your voltage goes back up to 250V then your system is upping the voltage by 6v.
If you standard grid voltage was lower IE 230v then you would not have a problem. (230 +6= 236v)
If the DNO is within voltage spec it may be difficult to get them to turn it down a little.
I hope this makes sense for you.

Cheers earthstone, yeah, I follow that.
Ive already got a basic energy monitor hooked up and it's giving readings pretty close to the inverters readings so seems to be in the right place.
Just checked the mains and it's 243v.
Will check it again tomorrow when the inverter kicks in.

Just to update, checked the inverter today and the max output is now up to 2804 watts so I'm more than happy with that.
Maybe our inverter is the Plus model after all !!!???
Interesting to see if it goes much higher in the coming months.

Also hijacking the thread with a related issue. Im in Honduras, split phase 240-120 with neutral. I have a ig plus V 3.0 uni. I have posted my issue here:

Fronius IG Plus V 3.0 Uni State 308 error

I posted to this forum but its still being moderated.

I get a state 308 after running the inverter successfully for about 30 minutes the first day. Its been a week on 308. Any other ideas?

I am an installer and I have a SMA 3000HF matched to 3.6KWp SunPower array, I had limited choice of suitable inverters at the time. My yield over the last 2 years has been in line with the design software predictions which when I ran them when designing the system was close to the larger inverters that were suitable, but not available at the time. Your inverter will prove to be a very good match.

However the more important factor is the IG30 could not be installed after March the 1st due to G83 changes with the DNO. Subsequently for the last month they have been significantly reduced in price representing a saving of £250. I am presuming your installers offered you this to you when they made a change to your specification?

The main argument with matching inverters correctly is cost/yield. With over sizing an inverter comes an extra cost which is often not possible to recoup via the slightly higher yield that is made possible. Getting the balance right is important as this is a financial investment after all.

I would happily go with your current set up if you received the cost benefit, if not you should get what you paid for.

Reply to 2.88kw system with 2.5kw inverter ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net