3-phase installation | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3-phase installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bertybert

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
As part of unlooping the DNO has installed 3-phase domestic supply. My supplier has installed a 3 phase meter as well.
I believe I now need to have a 3 phase distribution board installed?

Can any of you guys know how long this would take at all? I do not know what hardware is required?
It would be prudent to install a new CU as well, as the current one is 30 years old.
Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
You don't need to have a 3 phase D.B installed, you can still just have a new single phase one, unless you have sufficient load / circuits to justify it.

I believe the DNOs installing 3 phase supplies are / will be the standard in future.

With what fuse rating per phase? If it's only 25A, keeping the max power to about the same as before, this will cause its own problems.
I'm more concerned about all the destroyed neutrals!! At least at the moment the DNO's can have limited control over phase balancing, install 3ph all over the place and you've lost that control. Add to that the increasing issues with SMP's and it's a recipe for disaster. There's also the challenge of limiting the pfc in a domestic setting even if the incoming fuse is only say 60A it's not hard to go into the 6+ kA bracket.

Hello,
As part of unlooping the DNO has installed 3-phase domestic supply. My supplier has installed a 3 phase meter as well.
I believe I now need to have a 3 phase distribution board installed?

Can any of you guys know how long this would take at all? I do not know what hardware is required?
It would be prudent to install a new CU as well, as the current one is 30 years old.
Thank you for your consideration.
If you are intending to replace the consumer unit anyway (good idea) then you may as well install a 3 phase one as the cost should not be much different.
it will give you a bit more flexibility especially if at some point in the future a car charger is installed.
i.e a 3 phase charger draws 16A per phase and charges at up to 12Kw
a single phase charger draws 32A on a single phase and charges at up to 7.5Kw

Reply to 3-phase installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net