4mm radial circuit | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 4mm radial circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you.

Yes that was my thinking about the formula

so, method B applies because of being less than 50 x 11.6 (580mm)

Considering B applies to conduit as well, that's a hell of a space before method C could be used.

When is 1.5 x 11.6 (17.4mm) ever going to be needed and what happens if it's 17.3 ?

I actually agree with your statement as you could wire a house in two bits of wet string if it worked. However in this day and age of litigation it only takes the slightest thing to happen and someone gets hurt, (it may not be even anything to do with the circuit you have wired) then there is an investigation and the HSE say prove your work is safe and there are only two ways to do that one is to have proven manufactures test data or to have abided with current BS7671. When you can't prove that say sorry but that's not good enough. At best it's a heavy fine at worst it's a prison sentence and yes that can and dose happen!

There fore I'm not willing to risk it.

That's half the problem with today's electricians they aren't taught or given enough basic knowledge to enable them to think for themselves!!!
You should be able to prove each and every installation. If you need to totally rely on what BS7671 says to get things right, or more importantly what it ''Doesn't'' say, it's a sad day all round!! lol!!

i've never said any of things so you must be mistaking me for someone else.
if fact im happy to admit to bending guidelines when i know an install will work perfectly fine.
i care not if others do also , thats their business.

and i'm only 41.
;-)

I wasn't meaning you in particular Biff, but I guess trouble just follows you around :innocent:
The 'old timers' line was a metaphor for people that have been in the industry their whole careers, rather than a dig at people above a certain age.

I know that this forum comes down hard on people that are out of their depth, and rightly so. I just feel that sometimes those of us at the lesser end of the experience stakes can't really win :(

And whilst I might not be your senior when it comes to electrics, I got you beat on the race to the cemetery :angelsad2:

Cheers

That's half the problem with today's electricians they aren't taught or given enough basic knowledge to enable them to think for themselves!!!
You should be able to prove each and every installation. If you need to totally rely on what BS7671 says to get things right, or more importantly what it ''Doesn't'' say, it's a sad day all round!! lol!!

Sorry - with respect - this is poor science. You can't think or apply basic knowledge in this specific example - in the absence of clear data from either manufacturers or standards bodies then the only way forward is either decades of experience OR carry out your own properly controlled tests. Anything else from say an electrician with 3 years experience is a wet finger in the air. Notice I am valuing the knowledge of experience electricans (say Biff for example), and not castigating recently qualified electricians for requesting clearer data - as they aim to work safely.

Sorry - with respect - this is poor science. You can't think or apply basic knowledge in this specific example - in the absence of clear data from either manufacturers or standards bodies then the only way forward is either decades of experience OR carry out your own properly controlled tests. Anything else from say an electrician with 3 years experience is a wet finger in the air. Notice I am valuing the knowledge of experience electricans (say Biff for example), and not castigating recently qualified electricians for requesting clearer data - as they aim to work safely.

That's what I was trying to say. But you put it better!

To a point, you may well be right, but you'll never get absolute, or on the nail accurate data from the tables in BS7671 or even in manufacturers cable data. Both will include cover-all safety margins, more so it seems in BS 7671.

I'm not castigating the recently qualified electricians as such, it's the training they get at collage these days that's at fault. As for the fast track zero to thinking they are qualified 17 days to 5 weeks, well they stand no chance!! lol!!

Reply to 4mm radial circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net