63 Amp Isolator | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 63 Amp Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm running a 63A supply for a cooker and need to have a local isolator.
Apart from having a 63A main switch in a small enclosure, is there any thing else I could use which is discreet to put in the back of a cupboard.

Thanks

Thing is I was just asking about 63 amp isolators not how to do an installation.
Engineer does seem to know his stuff but not manners.
If you don't have the local knowledge of the job you can't really spout of about people not having a clue.
the likely hood is that the customer will get a dual fuel cooker, not like it, change it for a all electric, not do her home work and get a bigger model when she realises its to small. Therefore I am installing a cooker circuit to take all circumstances.
If she ends up with the biggy them I would probably pop it on a 50A mcb so there's no nuisance tripping on Xmas day, thanksgiving and all the other ones she celebrates.
theres no safety issues in this install I'm just covering my arse if I put it on a 45A ccu and it tripped when she's cooking her monster meals there's no chance of upgrading to 50A with changing switch then I would kick myself for not doing it in the 1st place.
if you think I'm exaggerating, I've put 2 chandeliers up in the same place so far.

Do you get called out on Christmas day much?
It's an urban myth.

Diversity has worked well for decades.
The larger the appliance the more and better diversity works.

A 32A circuit with 6mm. cable is good for 15kW with the 5A for the integral socket and 19kW without.
Even the 6mm. is over-sized as actually 4mm. (method C) would do but the 6mm. is a throw-back to 3036 fuses when 6mm. had to be used.

You are using for this one cooker the same arrangements as the sub-mains for a lot of flats.

There's so much over-engineering happening these days - 25mm. tails no matter what etc.- it can only be because people are not really sure what they are doing so 'chuck in the biggest and it's bound to be ok' - as per OSG philosophy.

Agree but seems that engineer is going down the diversity line of 32Amcb cos diversity says so

Used only as an example for you to see the folly of your intentions, which you still don't seem to have caught on too!! Several times in this thread, members have been trying to steer you towards taking account of diversity, which you seem to have totally ignored.

Diversity is a wonderful thing, (it can save you as the electrician, a heap of installation money in the way of materials) if you understand it and know how and when to apply!! Cookers are a good case in point, as diversity has been working very successfully now, for over 60 years. But not it seems with the local knowledge you seem to have adopted with this 17 KW cooker. One would think that if their was an issue with cookers that have a connected loads of 17 KW, why manufacturers aren't producing domestic type CCU's that can handle 60A loads or so, but as far as i know, they don't??

One of the clues, is the term ''connected load'' which doesn't mean that all of that connected load can actually be utilised at the same time!!

after reading this ( often repeated ) topic , and following from geoffsd's final comment ,
theres only one conclusion i can draw from many of the posts made....
and that is most domestic installers are utterly afflicted with a monkey see - monkey do mentality , where they are happier banging in switches left , right and centre cos its easier than interpreting the regs properly or using any sort of independant thought.

so when someone comes along and says the regs dont actually require you to fit this stuff , it is simply not accepted because "thats what everyone else does....."

and the almost daily repeated forum mantra of "manfacturers instructions say blah blah blah"
just shows what a witless bunch of lemmings uk sparks have become.

i'll put my engineering judgement up against any vague generic instructions in a court of law any day , its a shame many others on this site dont have the same conviction in their own abilities.

after reading this ( often repeated ) topic , and following from geoffsd's final comment ,
theres only one conclusion i can draw from many of the posts made....
and that is most domestic installers are utterly afflicted with a monkey see - monkey do mentality , where they are happier banging in switches left , right and centre cos its easier than interpreting the regs properly or using any sort of independant thought.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand........ BINGOOOOOOOOOO!

Let's not forget that ''Convention'', has generally stood the test of time. There is no better test that i know of, that anyone can come up with, to compete with that, no matter what it say's or doesn't say in the BGB!! ...lol!!

Reply to 63 Amp Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net