After good RCBO consumer unit | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss After good RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good easy to install 1 Phase domestic 20 + way RCBO consumer unit (possibly flush) Several large cables to be installed including a 16mmm SWA.
I'm fitting RCBO's to all circuits. Any recommendations. I've not had much time to browse on the internet but I seem to get lost on there with the various products. Thanks

Do many installations have buried SWA installations? Is it allowed by BS7671? Don't get me wrong I fully understand your point of view. No point making life difficult for myself or indeed another electrician further down the line. Just like to get an overall picture of what is allowed not allowed and practicable. thanks

132.12 , 134.1.1 , 134.1.2 , 529.3 , and probably a few from section 522

forget flush mounting , you'll be making a rod for your own back when time comes to terminate the armoureds , talk your client out of the idea.

as for needing a 20way unit that will have room to take all rcbos and a few swa's , then forget using any domestic c.u. , i'd be considering a small 3 phase dis. board with a single phase conversion switch kit otherwise it will be a monumental struggle.

forget flush mounting , you'll be making a rod for your own back when time comes to terminate the armoureds , talk your client out of the idea.

as for needing a 20way unit that will have room to take all rcbos and a few swa's , then forget using any domestic c.u. , i'd be considering a small 3 phase dis. board with a single phase conversion switch kit otherwise it will be a monumental struggle.
an 8 way 3 phase board with conversion kit should be big enough

I'd go with Biff's suggestion if money was an issue, however there is one SP board that would easily be up to the task and thats one of the Schneider (used to be Merlin Gerin) Acti9 Isobar A type single phase boards. They are the cream of the crop and the only single phase board I would consider using in this situation.

[ElectriciansForums.net] After  good RCBO consumer unit

I'd go with Biff's suggestion if money was an issue, however there is one SP board that would easily be up to the task and thats one of the Schneider (used to be Merlin Gerin) Acti9 Isobar A type single phase boards. They are the cream of the crop and the only single phase board I would consider using in this situation.

View attachment 26646
there nice boards, we had about 10 in one room on one of our previous jobs, really nice to install/work on.

SBS RCBO's are true two pole, almost all others in the market place are single pole solid neutral.
I could tell you where to get them, but that would be against the forum rules.

And he has a nice range of Metal clad units. Using the SBS rcbo's you will have more room than you can shake a stick at inside a smaller unit than the MG board.

Just saying

Not exactly, they are SP+N, they switch the neutral but they are not a DP breaker/RCBO in the true sense of the word!!

No the SBS RCBO's are true 2 pole in the same way an EN61008 2 pole RCD without over current protection is 2 pole.
They have overload & residual protection which disconnects both poles of the device.
The residual detection covers both poles, the over current detection only covers the Line (Live) pole.
What more of a definition of 2 pole do you need?

No the SBS RCBO's are true 2 pole in the same way an EN61008 2 pole RCD without over current protection is 2 pole.
They have overload & residual protection which disconnects both poles of the device.
The residual detection covers both poles, the over current detection only covers the Line (Live) pole.
What more of a definition of 2 pole do you need?
your right paul

[ElectriciansForums.net] After  good RCBO consumer unit

had to nick image from the otherside because forum filter also blocks pictures from there!!!

When I wrote the post I had one in my hand to check the schematic on the side just to be sure.

The pic you have posted is also of the compacts, which are the same size as a normal MCB.

As I say, there is a way to get them on preferential terms, but, it does not meet the forum rules here.

When I wrote the post I had one in my hand to check the schematic on the side just to be sure.

The pic you have posted is also of the compacts, which are the same size as a normal MCB.

As I say, there is a way to get them on preferential terms, but, it does not meet the forum rules here.
it came up in a google search result so in my eyes as long as no one is profiting from it then you can use it.

if they wanted it private then it shouldn't be placed in a spot that the forums allow google to crawl the site for links and images (robot.txt etc)

Reply to After good RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net