After good RCBO consumer unit | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss After good RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good easy to install 1 Phase domestic 20 + way RCBO consumer unit (possibly flush) Several large cables to be installed including a 16mmm SWA.
I'm fitting RCBO's to all circuits. Any recommendations. I've not had much time to browse on the internet but I seem to get lost on there with the various products. Thanks

So, if i go for a 3 Phase board and get a converting kit to 1 Phase. Is the kit in the form of a link of some kind to short out the incoming phase terminals? I've never used or seen a converting kit.

Yes, ....but you won't be able to use double pole breakers or RCBO's, as all the phase bars are linked to the one phase.

I suppose you could link 2 phases and connect the 3rd bar to neutral, but then your breakers would need to be staggered to pick up the neutral, and not a very good idea at all, so not advisable!! lol!!

Yes, ....but you won't be able to use double pole breakers or RCBO's, as all the phase bars are linked to the one phase.

I suppose you could link 2 phases and connect the 3rd bar to neutral, but then your breakers would need to be staggered to pick up the neutral, and not a very good idea at all, so not advisable!! lol!!

If he goes with Schneider isobar boards he can as they do a range of distributed neutral kits to allow the use of DP, SPSN, TPSN, 4 pole etc

If he goes with Schneider isobar boards he can as they do a range of distributed neutral kits to allow the use of DP, SPSN, TPSN, 4 pole etc

I was thinking more along the lines of their standard TPN boards with a single phase conversion kit. With Schneider gear, you can literally design and build your own boards to cover virtually anything you want them to do... lol!!

I was thinking more along the lines of their standard TPN boards with a single phase conversion kit. With Schneider gear, you can literally design and build your own boards to cover virtually anything you want them to do... lol!!

Should of designed job with less circuits! I've gone over the top really, load wise i could of used less circuits. last board i used was a Wylex duplex board with 2 x RCD's...but things move along. Want to use RCBO's all on all circuits,lt can't be all that uncommon nower days.

Someone posted the supplier of SP+N boards and RCBO's just recently.

That's the way i would go, Schneider gear tends to be at the top end of the range with prices to match especially if you're going down the route of designing your own board. Just not an economic solution for a domestic job, unless it's a large sophisticated job with all the latest mod cons...

EDIT ... It was davesparks that posted the supplier ...''SBS Trade Sales''

Last edited by a moderator:
Now seriously looking. Got price for Wylex 8 way TPN + converting kit + 20 x RCBO's = £609 + the dreaded VAT. At this point in time I've no idea re costings, but first impression.....Blimey! I did esquire about the Schneider unit at the same wholesaler, but only came back with Wylex option.
Cost above reasonable?

Now seriously looking. Got price for Wylex 8 way TPN + converting kit + 20 x RCBO's = £609 + the dreaded VAT. At this point in time I've no idea re costings, but first impression.....Blimey! I did esquire about the Schneider unit at the same wholesaler, but only came back with Wylex option.
Cost above reasonable?

One of SBS's units with 21 rcbo's will be in the region of £350
If I get time later may post a picture of a CU which is a 21 way unit full of SBS rcbo's

Cost above reasonable?

Don't bother getting a quote for Schneider stuff if you are shocked by that Wylex price!

I normally use MEM or Schneider and would be surprised if you got a lot of change out of £2k for that lot with SPSN RCBOs

Reply to After good RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net