After good RCBO consumer unit | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss After good RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good easy to install 1 Phase domestic 20 + way RCBO consumer unit (possibly flush) Several large cables to be installed including a 16mmm SWA.
I'm fitting RCBO's to all circuits. Any recommendations. I've not had much time to browse on the internet but I seem to get lost on there with the various products. Thanks

A standard DP RCBO as far as i'm aware, has overcurrent protection on both poles, these compact RCBO's are classified as SP+N. They are a good overall improvement over the standard SP RCBO's although they do require a suitable DP bus bar to install. So these compact RCBO's can't be fitted to existing standard arrangement CU/DB's.....

forget flush mounting , you'll be making a rod for your own back when time comes to terminate the armoureds , talk your client out of the idea.

as for needing a 20way unit that will have room to take all rcbos and a few swa's , then forget using any domestic c.u. , i'd be considering a small 3 phase dis. board with a single phase conversion switch kit otherwise it will be a monumental struggle.

Hear what your saying.......Just the one 16.0mm SWA cable to be terminated, 1 x 10mm 6242Y & 2 X 6mm 6242Y. Rest will be just 2.5mm & 1.mm 6242Y cables

Last one with 20+ ways I fitted about 6 yrs ago was a Wylex duplex board which was a 3 way split board (possibly not correct name) It had 3 ways non protected then 2 separate RCD's protecting 2 banks of MCB's. Just feel this day n age RCBO's is the way forward.

Last one with 20+ ways I fitted about 6 yrs ago was a Wylex duplex board which was a 3 way split board (possibly not correct name) It had 3 ways non protected then 2 separate RCD's protecting 2 banks of MCB's. Just feel this day n age RCBO's is the way forward.

Dual RCD and so-called high integrity CU (with non-protected ways) have always been considered as a low cost compromise to a full RCBO CU/DB!!! Earth faults and accumulated leakage on those dual RCD CU's can be a bloody nightmare to trace without a leakage clamp....

The SP+N RCBO's will slowly see the demise of the standard MCB protection, obviously not completely, but i don't think you'll be seeing many of them going into new installations in say 15 to 20 years time.... I can see it now (IF Electrical Trainee's are still around) threads starting off on here stating a EICR code (2) for MCB's .....no RCD protection!! lol!!

Thanks for all your replies. After info given, I'm going to ditch the flush idea due to the SWA cable install. I'll have a look /browse for info size & cost etc of the Schneider units. I've only grown up with Wylex units!

Thanks for all your replies. After info given, I'm going to ditch the flush idea due to the SWA cable install. I'll have a look /browse for info size & cost etc of the Schneider units. I've only grown up with Wylex units!

Ok going for 20 + way surface metal con/unit. My concerns are, as going surface, getting all the cables into the unit. I want ALL cables to enter the top of the unit, which will have knocks out mostly 20mm, which by the time I install say about 25 cables possibly not enough room and will be jammed full. Last Wylex Duplex flush board I fitted , I slotted all the 20mm holes together (post box) to ensure good access room for all cables. How do you guys over come this issue? If I slotted all the knockouts together bearing in mind it's surface, would I be better off boxing the cables in above the unit to ensure IP rating achieved? As you can guess I've not installed many large 1 phase con/units.. thanks

Last edited:
As a one off customer, would will it be very difficult for me to obtain a Shedier Acti9 unit. I don't have an account with any wholesalers. If I was able would cost of be extremely high compared to others?

As a one off customer, would will it be very difficult for me to obtain a Shedier Acti9 unit. I don't have an account with any wholesalers. If I was able would cost of be extremely high compared to others?

So where do you normally get your stuff from then?

Reply to After good RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net