Antoher domestic question. Can I just grind out a wall? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Antoher domestic question. Can I just grind out a wall? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Inteificio

Hi,

Need to get power across a wall in a domestic.

Would not be an issue apart from the wall is poorly finished and ancient.
It is wobbly and badly plastered.

Client suggested minitrunking.

I think that will look **** as the wall is not level.

I am fitting RCDs so thinking just grinding out a small slot sticking wire in and filling.

Regs seems to suggest that is fine, but just seems wrong to me.

Anyone more experienced in domestic have anything to add (that would be almost everyone here ;-) )

If it'sa relativly short run, and dust is a problem, you could stich drill it and use a bolster. Would save the dust.

Rich

Is that the same as using an SDS with a chisel attachment? Chisel the run lines (with a widish chisel) and then just chisel the waste bit out. Much better idea, I chased a run once with an angle grinder (long time ago) and regretted it 2 minutes later, as said, there was a coating of dust over everyting in the larder in a house 14 doors away

Not quite. I mean draw a line where you would normally grind, bit drill series of holes along the line. Same effect as a chase, but lot less dust. Obviously more time consuming if its a longer run.

Is that the same as using an SDS with a chisel attachment? Chisel the run lines (with a widish chisel) and then just chisel the waste bit out. Much better idea, I chased a run once with an angle grinder (long time ago) and regretted it 2 minutes later, as said, there was a coating of dust over everyting in the larder in a house 14 doors away

Lol a volcano is tidier, even in an
empty property it's a pain.

Never had a problem with dust when using my twin blade grinder + Hoover attached. Its when you come to chip the rest out with the Kango I find the dust starts up.

And unless you are insane I'd never use a standard grinder in an occupied property. Don't think you can ever cover and seal up everything in a room, it will be all around the house. Plus it sits in the air for ages.

Well just went around to finalise and measure up....total change of plan from client.

All major works delayed until next year, just doing a few switches/sockets and putting lights up.

much easier =-)

Seems I have a few months to plan on what to do.
I picked up a wallchaser with dust extractor earlier today, be returning that tomorrow!

Thanks all.

Reply to Antoher domestic question. Can I just grind out a wall? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net