Currently reading:
Appliances in bathroom cupboard

Discuss Appliances in bathroom cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of conflicting views online about this. Know someone who’s getting a new bathroom and are keen to put washing machine and tumble dryer in a cupboard in bathroom. My question is does the partition & door class it as another room? Outside zones? Tried to upload picture but won’t load. Basically where the foot of the bath is has a partition (this is the side partition of the cupboard that house the appliances.) Personally I think it’s a stupid idea anyway but would it comply if it was to be installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be a lot of conflicting views online about this. Know someone who’s getting a new bathroom and are keen to put washing machine and tumble dryer in a cupboard in bathroom. My question is does the partition & door class it as another room? Outside zones? Tried to upload picture but won’t load. Basically where the foot of the bath is has a partition (this is the side partition of the cupboard that house the appliances.) Personally I think it’s a stupid idea anyway but would it comply if it was to be installed.
The regs permit a washing machine or tumble dryer to be used in a bathroom provided that they are:
  • supplied from a switched fused flex outlet installed outside the zones (socket outlets are only allowed 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1);
  • protected by a 30 mA RCD; and
  • permitted for such installation by the manufacturer.
Also, you would have to take into account that the appliance must be suitable for its location and able to operate satisfactorily without deterioration during its working life.

Regulation wise, it passes… if it can be classed as outside the room.

However, I’d look at are appliances suitable for the environment?

does the cupboard door shut, or will they just end up taking it off?

Is there adequate ventilation? Like an open window in the bathroom

Is it a full built partition wall or just a bit of kitchen cabinet end panel?

If you screenshot the phone when showing the photograph, and save as new image… it’ll be small enough for the upload.

Regulation wise, it passes… if it can be classed as outside the room.

However, I’d look at are appliances suitable for the environment?

does the cupboard door shut, or will they just end up taking it off?

Is there adequate ventilation? Like an open window in the bathroom

Is it a full built partition wall or just a bit of kitchen cabinet end panel?

If you screenshot the phone when showing the photograph, and save as new image… it’ll be small enough for the upload.

It’s to be a proper partition with a bi-fold door going on it. There is a bathroom window, a fan in the main bathroom & have suggested a fan in the cupboard as well. I’ve tried screen shotting the picture first time round, won’t upload, says the file iss too big.

A cupboard in a bathroom is still in a bathroom.

Silly restriction IMO as in all of the world it seems its only the British who can't be trusted with sockets in bathrooms but that's how it is, as said switch spurs/flex outlets or whatevs. Main downside is when Currys turn up with a replacement having charge a lump for their fully fitted service they'll burst into tears and run away and you'll get a call, although I've heard some manufacturers might attempt to void the warranty (like to see that one stand up in court, section 75 etc)

But if the client wants it in the bathroom that badly then it's on them!

A cupboard in a bathroom is still in a bathroom.
No, it's out of zone.
Silly restriction IMO as in all of the world it seems its only the British who can't be trusted with sockets in bathrooms but that's how it is, as said switch spurs/flex outlets or whatevs.
Sockets aren't banned from being in a bathroom.

It's not the sockets as such, It's what Adults/Children could plug into them.

Main downside is when Currys turn up with a replacement having charge a lump for their fully fitted service they'll burst into tears and run away and you'll get a call, although I've heard some manufacturers might attempt to void the warranty (like to see that one stand up in court, section 75 etc)
Isn't section 75 to do with consumer credit.

Last edited:
Americans might argue the best place is a basement
I'm going to regret asking this as your logic is usually impeccable, but how do you get the thing to drain uphill if it's in a basement?

I've actually just had this very conversation about washing machine in a room with a self contained steam shower unit, not big enough to get a socket 2.5m away.
My compromise was a big fan and using an FCU out of zones for the washing machine.

I'm going to regret asking this as your logic is usually impeccable, but how do you get the thing to drain uphill if it's in a basement?

I've actually just had this very conversation about washing machine in a room with a self contained steam shower unit, not big enough to get a socket 2.5m away.
My compromise was a big fan and using an FCU out of zones for the washing machine.

Very good question, but one best directed at an American. I'm very much in the utility room camp where laundry appliances are concerned 😁

Reply to Appliances in bathroom cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electricians on FB Group

Electricians Forums on FB

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back