Currently reading:
Becoming an Electrician, best learning route? Mature Man

Discuss Becoming an Electrician, best learning route? Mature Man in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in completing training and to get the qualifications needed to get to where I want. I have looked at local colleges who only seem to offer heating engineer type qualifications and other courses that seem to only scratch the surface of what I am likely to need.

Could someone let me know the qualifications that are needed/must have to be an electrician?

I did find the attached on the City and Guilds website.

I have approached one company (Access Training Cardiff) they offer a course that on the face of it seems like a good fit however I am dubious as I read a thread on here that wasn't very complimentary of them and didn't seem to offer the qualifications you would fully need. In addition to this the fee they quoted me seems excessive for something that seems to be mainly an online course with some weekend training.

Help or guidance would be apricated, thanks :)

Attachments

• self-funded-adult-bse-pdf.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 2
As above, an apprenticeship the way, you need on site experience as well as exam qualifications, some of the best electricians I have ever worked for were carp in the classroom, on site experience and being taught in the job via an apprenticeship the way forward.

As above, an apprenticeship the way, you need on site experience as well as exam qualifications, some of the best electricians I have ever worked for were carp in the classroom, on site experience and being taught in the job via an apprenticeship the way forward.

Very true. Obviously not a hard and fast rule, but a lot of very capable electricians aren't exactly mathematicians. One of the best installation guys I know fits this description, yet he still instinctively knows a lot about good circuit design. It takes all sorts to fill every role in this trade and an apprenticeship is a very good way of providing the sort of rounded experience that helps people figure out what route they'd prefer to move towards.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Becoming an Electrician, best learning route? Mature Man in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock