Breaker not tripping | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Breaker not tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bensk

-
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to install a cooker and hob built in one (total load 15kw ish), the customer has already 6mm installed from previous cooker so i changed the breaker to 32A b type (I hope this is okay?) and explained that it might trip if he is using the whole oven and all hobs which he is fine with. However we decided to test the breaker out so once installed we turned all hobs on and cooker but the breaker does not trip?? I was confused by this as I expected the breaker to trip, so I measured with my amp clamp and it was showing 47a going through and still not trip?? Can someone please explain or comment if you know why the breaker is not tripping as it's of big concern to me.

Thanks for reading.

You are probably right, but forgive me, there's a whole area dedicated to trainees, as well as the prestiged trainee badge. I'm learning a new trade mate, and if I wasn't getting out of my depth I wouldn't be doing very well at learning it would I? The past 18 months I've been out of my depth - that's how you learn. I'm not sure what else you expect of me?

Too true, I don't have the experience to comment on the electrical industry as a whole. But I wasn't born yesterday either, and just because I've only been training for 18 months doesn't mean I can't carry valid experiences and observations from other parts of life. The electrical industry isn't the only one to change over the past X amount of years.

Now, let us not forget. If the electrical industry really is on its knees, or changed for the poorer, exactly which generation is it that has made those changes and allowed it to happen? The answer, it seems to me, is the exact same generation that bangs on about it "not being like it used to be". I know one thing, it certainly wasn't my generation - I'm just trying to get on with the rules laid out in front of me.

It's not on it's knees but, for example, just look at the standard of basic materials these days. I have bush spanners for mb bushes....they won't even fit the carp provided these days. The rubbish trunking and conduit fittings, consumer unit connections, lack of stock at wholesalers....the list goes on.
When it comes to the changes made, the generation making the changes has nothing to do with it. It is all money orientated, the way the world has deteriated, I suppose. It's those in a position to make the changes....generally accountant fed.

I'm not saying some things haven't improved but it's certainly not the standard of 'hands on' sparking.

All I'm trying to say is this: for the sake of arguments let's say the industry has changed for the worse. What do we do? We have people urging us to take an industry recognised route rather than a Electrical Trainee. Then the same people pipe up that training isn't the same as it used to be. It means nothing to us, it's nothing more than a whinge on. It helps us none. All I can do is adhere to the rules laid out for me. Work my pods off to make it. Do everything in my power to make this work for me. Then somebody comes along and says 'bah lad trainees are naff nowadays' with someone else to come along shortly after saying 'you're out your depth'. And then wonder why I get vexed. If I tried to tar all time served with the same brush people would be right on me, yet it's OK to call all trainees poor, and then furthermore lay blame at their door for the way the industry is.

The simple matter is, there's good trainees and poor ones in all walks of life. Good and bad workers too. But I've never seen an industry as a whole so worried about new people wanting to enter it. It's time the nay sayers got behind the ones who are in it for real, help us. Otherwise all you'll be left with is the trainees you didn't want.

By the way, I'm trying to be very careful with my words as there's so many older time served folk on here who have been nothing but helpful. They're the ones who are helping the industry, and to those guys - I thank you. You all know who you are.

Seem to remember when I started for a biggish local company, I had 3 tier cantilever toolbox, pair of snips, pair of pliers, hammer, couple of screwdrivers and a hacksaw, jack pooh else. Hardly comprehensive, someone gave me a job. Leap in the dark for them, or they knew they could make a tidy sum out of me towards the end of my apprenticeship, charging for an electrician for apprentice pay. Things always work both ways.

But in this case the person without any tools is claiming to be fully qualified, and presumably expecting to be paid as such.

Obviously I wouldn't expect an apprentice to have anything but their sandwiches with them on their first day, but a fully qualified person should at least have hand tools

When it comes to the changes made, the generation making the changes has nothing to do with it. It is all money orientated, the way the world has deteriated, I suppose. It's those in a position to make the changes....generally accountant fed.

Deteriorated...................sorry!

HT, if all trainees had your attitude then the industry in the future would look good.

Well said, tel. couldn't agree more.

I must be one of those old fuddies though...a H+S officer asked me to get my log book out today. I told him I haven't got it to hand at present......but I've got my slide rule, if that'll do.:dunce2: :wink_smile:

But in this case the person without any tools is claiming to be fully qualified, and presumably expecting to be paid as such.

Obviously I wouldn't expect an apprentice to have anything but their sandwiches with them on their first day, but a fully qualified person should at least have hand tools

You're quite right, had to look back at the original remark, and it was referring to a 'qualified' electrician.

Apprenticeship is the way to go. But for those people that get themselves trained, and pay for their training, will all need that 'big break' for some employer to take them on to work for the very first time.

When I was an apprentice & electrician way back when, there were bodger 'qualified' electricians and electricians claiming to be 'qualified'. I like to think I wasn't one of them! The trunking was carp, you made your own bends, and the bodgers bodged them. Wholesalers never had next week delivery, let alone next day. And you would struggle to take a pride in your work, cos the contracts manager wanted the work done, in less time than they quoted for. But you voted with your feet with a crappy firm.

Having returned to the industry in the last few years, I don't feel its any different, apart from more rules & regulations, more multi tooled accessories you can shake a Yankee Screwdriver at, ohhh .........and less apprentices, no offence Hightower.

On a rather sombre note: “Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.” (Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold)[h=1][/h]

Last edited:
10 posts about a breaker not tripping 23 posts mainly about not having tools and one post starting a spin off series more suited to Jeremy Kyle.

I love this forum:smile5:

Last edited:
KoFi - I too, have just spotted the bit about claiming to be qualified. I stand by what I've said in terms of adult trainees etc, but I'd like to apologise - in retrospect, I think I was a little quick to jump down your throat. As HHD has said, the thread has started to resemble something off Jeremy Kyle, and I've played my part in that. The industry is difficult enough to break in to without making enemies, so hopefully we can draw a line under this and move forward?

there's a line under this and it's moving forward. that do? :toilet:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Breaker not tripping

As a new trainee I'm establishing a fresh opinion of the industry. Regardless of how the industry has changed in the past I think the only way to progress is to support and encourage the new breed for a better future. There are trainee's out there who are keen and motivated to become a quality electrician and push the industry in a positive direction. Id put myself in that boat.

I personally want to feel proud to be electrician once I'm qualified :)

10 posts about a breaker not tripping 23 posts mainly about not having tools and one post starting a spin off series more suited to Jeremy Kyle.

I love this forum:smile5:

This wasn't meant as a pop at the OP, I just found it funny.
This question seems like such a simple question and one that should clearly be known and... exactly the same sort of question I would have asked 3 years ago. Keep asking your questions Bensk:smile5:

KoFi - I too, have just spotted the bit about claiming to be qualified. I stand by what I've said in terms of adult trainees etc, but I'd like to apologise - in retrospect, I think I was a little quick to jump down your throat. As HHD has said, the thread has started to resemble something off Jeremy Kyle, and I've played my part in that. The industry is difficult enough to break in to without making enemies, so hopefully we can draw a line under this and move forward?

I Salute you!
you have just moved forward in your quest to become a Decent electrician (life skills and good communications all pack and parcel) Yes you did jump down my throat
I respect your apology especially in a open section of a forum
I see you in a different light now DNA test says.................................... you have the pedigree to become a sparks one day LoL
good luck:rockon:

Last edited:

Reply to Breaker not tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net