Can i legaly rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Can i legaly rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mindiawl

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help me please.
Years ago I passes my city & guilds in 16[SUP]th[/SUP] edition and have re wired many properties before I passed and since i passed, but none since part P regs was introduced.
Im very competent and know exactly what im doing so there is no issue there and im not looking for advice on how to wire a kitchen or a bathroom and so on.
What I am looking for advice on is as follows please.
1 I have just bought a property for renovation and re-sell, I need to rip out the kitchen and the existing ring to the point that the 2 ends of the ring that come from the c/u still exists but capped off by 2 junction boxes. Am i aloud to do this?
2 Can I then (as the new kitchen is being installed) put in the new ring and sockets and re attach to the 2 junction boxes mentioned above?
3 Can the ring be placed in those white plastic ducting (conduits) and then running the conduits along the wall behind the base units, with runs up to the sockets behind the tiles?
4 i also intend to knock the bathroom and one bedroom all in to one room which will then be the bathroom, can i legally change the light fitting to just a normal pendant and install a pull cord switch for it myself?
5 For the rest of the house some light switches and socket back boxes and faces are cracked, can i replace them?
6 If i am aloud then do I need to inform somebody that I am doing the work?
7 Do I need to get a certificate before i sell the property? If so then how much roughly will it cost?
Thank you all in advance for your answers.

If you read the Part P document, it is allowable to replace any cable and accessories that are already there, without notifying.
Please correct me on that if I'm wrong!
So essentially you can rewire a complete circuit at will, following the exact path of the old one of course!, but don't touch the protection.
Apart from the addition of the pro, how does that really differ from installing a completely new cct?
It's a load of...

Are you saying that an unregistered Part P person can quite happily replace a hard wired oven as they only have to connect from the oven to the connection outlet. No fixed wiring disturbed, no change of MCB. Nothing to notify.

Just because you are not registered doesn't mean you are not competent to do the job.

In answer to your question yes that is correct, or replace any other cable as long as the route is unchanged and the CSA remains the same.

Interestingly I completed an EICR on a property that has just had an extension. The home owner rewired the whole house himself plus the new kitchen in the extension, unqaulified. He tells me he needs my cert to get building control to ok his building cert.
So it would seem part P & scammers are a complete waste of time when you can rewire & just pay for a PIR to get past building control

Interestingly I completed an EICR on a property that has just had an extension. The home owner rewired the whole house himself plus the new kitchen in the extension, unqaulified. He tells me he needs my cert to get building control to ok his building cert.
So it would seem part P & scammers are a complete waste of time when you can rewire & just pay for a PIR to get past building control

Now here is what you need to understand
EIC is an Eletectrical Installation Certificate. In this the person doing the work certifies that the work he has done complies with BS7671

A PIR (now a EICR) is a REPORT that says you have tested the installation against today's standards and it provides a note of where there is non-compliance.

Completely different things.

I agree that its a complete horlicks. Building Control should never accept an EICR as a get out clause. It should always be a proper test done by the householder who has done teh work as a DIYer. That is the intention of the legislation.

I guess the EICR get out clause is necessary to a degree.
What do you do if all wiring is done and dusted plastered and decorated then the Installer gets run over by a bus?
Rewire from scratch?
Same if Said installer goes bust or lied about registration.
Given that joe public is generally completely unaware of part P should BC demand the lot be ripped out and started again for the sake of an EIC?

You can’t knock the customer.

He’s found the way around the system, as I see it, all good. The system is so full of holes it deserves to sink.

It is an absolute joke when you can ignore an EIC and get an EICR done afterwards. I agree that in exceptional circumstances it may be a get-out-clause for those involved, but what do we see when people put up extensions without planning permission? The building often gets taken down is what, or at least looked at with a fine tooth-comb.

Playing devils advocate here but what it said customer actually did a very very good job, maybe even better than most of the local sparks he could have employed... then gets an eicr done. He house technically then could be a lot safer and more compliant than a new build ( as discussed in another thread)

People on here argue in 1 thread that all works should be done by a registered spark, then in another thread say that registered sparks are largely under qualified Electrical Trainee and are bad at the job.

Go figure, its all a big mess if you ask me

Now here is what you need to understand
EIC is an Eletectrical Installation Certificate. In this the person doing the work certifies that the work he has done complies with BS7671

A PIR (now a EICR) is a REPORT that says you have tested the installation against today's standards and it provides a note of where there is non-compliance.

Completely different things.

I agree that its a complete horlicks. Building Control should never accept an EICR as a get out clause. It should always be a proper test done by the householder who has done teh work as a DIYer. That is the intention of the legislation.

I fully understand they are different things, I did not do the install so cannot issue an EIC, hence the customer could only have an EICR from me, which is what he got. Based on this cert which can be issued by anyone not qualified he has passed building control!

and yes rise, other than a few loose cpc's on the ring final, a very good install. Well it aint rocket science after all

This is an interesting thread lol

My answer to the OP's question would be "Yes you can legally so long as you comply with the two options that will ensure the work remains safe and legal"

In my opinion if someone deems themselves competent then let them crack on. They could choose to seek any advice from a local spark beforehand OR involve Local Authority Building Control from the start and pay the fee.

DIY is a fact of life these days and I do not understand anyone who thinks that these people are taking money out of their pockets just because they are working in that specific trade. Just charge them more when you do get the call to go in and put it right or rip it all out and start again SIMPLE :)

I'm in the process of tiling my bathroom floor and by doing so taking money out of a trades persons pocket, do I care? do I hell lol The difference is I know my limitations and when I find something is beyond my capability I do without hesitation call in the experts and pay the price for it.

I think some people need to take a chill pill from time to time, this is a forum... take a breath and relax. If you don't like a post then go to another thread... it really is that simple:D

If this forum really was solely for electricians only then it would be set up accordingly so that members would have to prove their competence, that would be a real fun place to frequent wouldn't it lol. This should be an inviting place for the non electrically minded to come for advice. I'm afraid that after reading a lot of comments on here I would be of the opinion that nearly all electricians are jumped up little so and so's and would not like to deal with them if I had the choice. It's so easy to get the OP to post a location and get a member to pop around. This forum could generate a lot of work for certain members if the attitude was correct but as per usual in this day and age all most people seem interested in is whinging and whining about how unfair the world is treating them lol

****please note this has been posted lightheartedly**** :D

Reply to Can i legaly rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net