Consumer unit change with a fault! | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer unit change with a fault! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have just changed a CU. I did find a neutral - earth fault prior to the change so I thought I would probably have a tripping RCD.. which I did!

My dilema is how do I proceed with the paperwork?

I'm going back tomorrow morning to do all of the testing and I shall give the required certificates (with a note on regarding neutral/earth fault on downstairs lights), but I get the feeling the chap is going to hunt for the fault himself, the reason being it will require the floorboards being taking up and he doesn't want to incur anymore cost (fault is in a junction box(s), under the floorboards that someone has kindly wired all the downstairs lights from - took me a while to figure this out!)

The main point being that the work is notifiable, but I cant notify it if it still has faults! How do I proceed?

I realise I should have perhaps corrected the fault before the CU change, but the chap just wanted the new CU in and due to my inexperience I wasn't sure if the new CU would trip!

Cheers...

Posts 4-5-6-8-31-47 and no they aren't all your posts some are constructive. I don't care where your from as someone said earlier you say it straight because your from up north. Sometimes you should just choose your words to save crushing peoples confidence. That's all I'm saying. So that's all I'm saying BOY

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want to borrow my hard hat? lol

I should retreat to my air raid shelter around.................now

Posts 4-5-6-8-31-47 and no they aren't all your posts some are constructive. I don't care where your from as someone said earlier you say it straight because your from up north. Sometimes you should just choose your words to save crushing peoples confidence. That's all I'm saying. So that's all I'm saying BOY

- - - Updated - - -

I should retreat to my air raid shelter around.................now
rubbish.

confidence comes from within...you know if you can do the work..or not to a satisfactory & safe, compliant standard.

the OP clearly struggles with the concept...his posts week in...week out are evidence of this.

Hence my belief (like Biff) that he should be shadowing someone....without the worries of if it goes wrong etc caus the way he is going at present i can see grief on the horizon...

What's even more worrying is, there are thousands out there who are registered with " competent persons schemes" who know less than the OP but are out there doing work like this. At least the OP comes ands asks regular questions, unlike the many out there that don't. That thought is just scary.

rubbish.

confidence comes from within...you know if you can do the work..or not to a satisfactory & safe, compliant standard.

the OP clearly struggles with the concept...his posts week in...week out are evidence of this.

Hence my belief (like Biff) that he should be shadowing someone....without the worries of if it goes wrong etc caus the way he is going at present i can see grief on the horizon...

Now that's constructive as I agree shadowing would be helpful. Wasn't a dig at you directly Glenn there are a few on here who shout others down, just pointing out sometimes it isn't needed.

What's even more worrying is, there are thousands out there who are registered with " competent persons schemes" who know less than the OP but are out there doing work like this. At least the OP comes ands asks regular questions, unlike the many out there that don't. That thought is just scary.
i think this may be a challenge Dillon

and as far as all n sundry just waltzing into schemes etc without a by or leave...dont get me started on that one caus you know EXACTLY what i reckon to that travesty as well..

Trouble is though Onions if you read the OP again especially the last paragraph it is pretty worrying, I too 100% Agree with Glenn, he is trying to drum home to HHD just how dangerous his work can be, the fact he was hoping the fault wouldn't trip the board even though he knew it was there is absolutely shocking and he needs to know that even if he is a liked member here.

Trouble is though Onions if you read the OP again especially the last paragraph it is pretty worrying, I too 100% Agree with Glenn, he is trying to drum home to HHD just how dangerous his work can be, the fact he was hoping the fault wouldn't trip the board even though he knew it was there is absolutely shocking and he needs to know that even if he is a liked member here.

hmm...
about the level of it Mike..

I did find the bit about turning it on and guess what it tripped bit slightly bizarre. So the OP should also learn not to share everything on open forum some things are best kept to yourself. HHD I wouldn't ever tell you my deepest darkest secrets.

- - - Updated - - -

A dual with spades on the M1 sounds a tad on the dangerous side

I did find the bit about turning it on and guess what it tripped bit slightly bizarre. So the OP should also learn not to share everything on open forum some things are best kept to yourself. HHD I wouldn't ever tell you my deepest darkest secrets.

- - - Updated - - -

A dual with spades on the M1 sounds a tad on the dangerous side
thats the bit that got me started to be honest...

i just looked at it and thought `are you going to cast a spell on the damn thing` or summat like that...

glenns so hardcore he actually lives on the M1 , just under a bridge past jct 10.

;-)
wherever you may roam:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer unit change with a fault!

and before theres any snyde comments winging their way over from you biff just remember thats my home your callin..

Reply to Consumer unit change with a fault! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net