Consumer unit change with a fault! | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer unit change with a fault! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have just changed a CU. I did find a neutral - earth fault prior to the change so I thought I would probably have a tripping RCD.. which I did!

My dilema is how do I proceed with the paperwork?

I'm going back tomorrow morning to do all of the testing and I shall give the required certificates (with a note on regarding neutral/earth fault on downstairs lights), but I get the feeling the chap is going to hunt for the fault himself, the reason being it will require the floorboards being taking up and he doesn't want to incur anymore cost (fault is in a junction box(s), under the floorboards that someone has kindly wired all the downstairs lights from - took me a while to figure this out!)

The main point being that the work is notifiable, but I cant notify it if it still has faults! How do I proceed?

I realise I should have perhaps corrected the fault before the CU change, but the chap just wanted the new CU in and due to my inexperience I wasn't sure if the new CU would trip!

Cheers...

There is a good old saying. If you haven't got anything good to say then don't say anything at all.

Is that because the truth always hurts

Yes mdj I agree but come on some posts just aren't needed it puts people off asking genuine questions for the fear of getting slaughtered.

It begs the question what is a genuine question at the level where somebody is plying for work in peoples homes

Posts 4-5-6-8-31-47 and no they aren't all your posts some are constructive. I don't care where your from as someone said earlier you say it straight because your from up north. Sometimes you should just choose your words to save crushing peoples confidence. That's all I'm saying. So that's all I'm saying BOY

These people are given a misplaced over confidence by the training organisations who took their money then they meet the real world.
Are we really here to massage peoples egos when they screw up or ask base level questions the reality is there is no substitute for proper training, a 5 week course followed by an ongoing forum correspondence course doesn't cut it IMO.

I just wonder how an insurance company would view the risk on liability insurance for these competent persons if they read this and other forums

Well chaps, this has turned into an interesting thread :)

Far too many bits that I'd like to respond to and the day has just been too long to do so!!

I wont be stopping working by myself, but working alongside an experienced electrician for a year or two would be fantastic, just not that easy to organise (I do wish Spark68 or Richard Burns lived a bit closer plus a number of others on the site who I have a lot of respect for!!:)). If any of you guys want to offer then I'm willing to travel!!!

I'll keep asking these questions over the next few years and I'll get good advice and many slatings and I'll be the better off for it.

I really like this forum and even though you lot are just nameless faces sat behind keyboards and have no idea who I am you take the time and effort to offer me advice and I am extremely grateful for that and just hope I can repay in some way someday (although if you want cash I'll have to learn how to stop working for free!!)

Heading to Ireland now.. Taking my boy on a plane for the first time.... we are both very excited..... point being, unfortunately I wont be able to ask any more questions for a couple of weeks, but don't worry.....I'll be back Glen!! :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:

Far too many bits that I'd like to respond and the day has just been too long to do so!!

I wont be stopping working by myself, but working alongside an experienced electrician for a year or two would be fantastic, just not that easy to organise (I do wish Spark68 or Richard Burns lived a bit closer plus a number of others on the site who I have a lot of respect for!!:)). If any of you guys want to offer then I'm willing to travel!!!

I'll keep asking these questions over the next few years and I'll get good advice and many slatings and I'll be the better off for it.

I really like this forum and even though you lot are just nameless faces sat behind keyboards and have no idea who I am you take the time and effort to offer me advice and I am extremely grateful for that and just hope I can repay in some way someday (although if you want cash I'll have to learn how to stop working for free!!)

Heading to Ireland now.. Taking my boy on a plane for the first time.... we are both very excited..... point being, unfortunately I wont be able to ask any more questions for a couple of weeks, but don't worry.....I'll be back Glen!! :smilewinkgrin:
you and your boy have a good time now wont you.

Glenn.
GLMelectrical.

Far too many bits that I'd like to respond and the day has just been too long to do so!!

I think you've been very polite mate, I'd have told him to go **** himself on page 2 of this thread.

HHP, I think you was brave to come on here, admit your mistake and take a kick in, you will not make the same fopar again I promise you that.Faults need to be rectified prior to any cu change.!!

What the hell is that ? .........Mon dieu!!!!........a bleedin golfin' term?

HHD I’m not sorry for my comment. I really don’t think you are competent to work alone.
If you can get to shadow someone then do so. When it comes to faultfinding there are so many tricks to learn. Tricks that save you time and build your reputation.

Faultfinding:
It’s a double edged sword:
A/ find it too quick and it’s “he charged £---!”
B/ too slow “messed about for hours at £---!”

Take it from me, you learn to play a game.

I’ve never done domestic always heavy industrial. I had to justify my existence on the pay role, believe me play acting came in to it in a big way.

I should have been a plumber, bullsh1t baffles brains.

97 Now

Reply to Consumer unit change with a fault! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net