Consumer Unit cover not on properly | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer Unit cover not on properly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had an EICR a few months ago and have only just now noticed the Consumer unit cover is not on quite properly.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer Unit cover not on properly

Below is a photo before the EICR

Is this even safe?

It shows poor workmanship.
I presume the EICR pointed out that the protective devices were not suitable for the enclosure?
there is no visible RCD protection (although it could be elsewhere)

If it was done correctly then the likely remedial works could well include a replacement consumer unit.

It shows poor workmanship.
I presume the EICR pointed out that the protective devices were not suitable for the enclosure?
there is no visible RCD protection (although it could be elsewhere)

If it was done correctly then the likely remedial works could well include a replacement consumer unit.
The EICR pointed to lack of RCD but not to the mix of MCBs in the enclosure. There is a seperate RCB only for the garage but he noted this is not tripping in spec.

Is the cover potentially unsafe? Do I need to get an electrician out to sort it?

The cover should have been refitted correctly, however with the different make and sizes of the mcb's it may be difficult to do without putting undue stress on the components.

My biggest concern would be a possible omission of rcd protection to the lights, sockets and shower.

are you intending to change that board? if so it will all get sorted at that point.

It just needs a little adjusting. The cover is caught on the breaker on the left…

With a little leverage, it could pop over, and slide back… but if you’re not comfortable doing so, I’m sure leaving it as it is will not be any less safe… as long as the fixing screws are tight.

As others have said, it’s maybe time for an upgrade anyway

The cover should have been refitted correctly, however with the different make and sizes of the mcb's it may be difficult to do without putting undue stress on the components.

My biggest concern would be a possible omission of rcd protection to the lights, sockets and shower.

are you intending to change that board? if so it will all get sorted at that point.
Absolutely, that's why I want a new CU with all RCBO's and surge protection, this one is terribly outdated.

It's a Legrand enclosure with mainly Legrand MCBs, but a Tenby main switch. I wonder if it originally had a Legrand RCD as the 'main switch', possibly swapped as a cure for intermittent RCD tripping.
That would have been such a silly bodge instead of having the source found. It is one of my concerns that the upgrade will unearth some more issues, maybe a few nuissance trips but I think it's worth it for the added protection RCBO's bring.

The upgrade my well unearth some more issues - things that are potentially likely to kill you or burn your property down. In my book, that's a good thing.
There really shouldn't be any circuits in domestic properties that aren't protected by a RCD in 2024. I haven't installed one since the early eighties.

Reply to Consumer Unit cover not on properly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net