Continuous earth fault | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Continuous earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

We've lived in the house since Feb 2009. We've had a few tradesmen in and out over the years. We wanted to make sure the electrics got properly certified so used a company locally. They said there was no continuous earth so they used 2 radials a 20 amp and something else which will make sense to you sparks to adhere to regs.

Now what is annoying is that we can't have too many devices such as tumble, washing machine,,computer and kettle on without the odd trip. We think it's the tumble tripping the electrics.

We've had 2 separate people out and one guy recently who has made the electrics safer as there were cables not screwed in correctly etc. He has taken all of the wall sockets off and we simply can't find those earth fault.

Is there such a device (apart from the 3 pin plug that tells you theres a fault when you plug it in) that can tell you were an earth problem lays?

Without tearing apart the entire electrics I think we just have to live with it. We spent 140 quid and tbf the guy was good. He spent hours 5 in all in all trying to find the issue and fixing a couple of other bits.

Anyone got any ideas?

I thought leaving the gas on and going out and leave the insurers to sort out the mess was my next point. Jk!

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP @Haphazard81 was last seen 5 months ago, never returned after asking a question.

The new issue that @Mjward has seems to be at least two breaks in the CPC or no CPC at the CU, as there is no earth at some or all socket outlets on an RFC. Because it is a ring, a single loose terminal other than at the CU should only affect one socket-outlet at most. The wander-lead tests will be revealing.

The OP @Haphazard81 was last seen 5 months ago, never returned after asking a question.

The new issue that @Mjward has seems to be at least two breaks in the CPC or no CPC at the CU, as there is no earth at some or all socket outlets on an RFC. Because it is a ring, a single loose terminal other than at the CU should only affect one socket-outlet at most. The wander-lead tests will be revealing.
The thread update notification was caught in spam.
My local store didn't have stock of the wander leads on the weekend but I used the time to change a few more of the sockets and map circuit routes which has me flummoxed in one particular room which has far as a can tell has either migrated to a radial setup or has spurs off of spurs. I am hoping herein lies the issue and will spend today mapping out where the wires are going. In the interim, I changed all the sockets in the room, a few loose earths but with new sockets in (and tight cpc fittings), the earth fault remained so post mapping, I suspect the wander-lead will be required to properly diagnose.

Completed mapping of entire circuit. Changed all sockets, a few had loose connections but broadly everything was where it should be. Socket tester still showing earth fault. Have identified one shocker of a connection below, hoping it this causing the fault. Failing that, will have to check CU (off) for earth connection and then wander.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Continuous earth fault

Unfortunately even putting the wires that were taped together into a junction box didn't solve the issue. Given I've mapped the entire circuit, changed all sockets, checked all junction boxes, the earth issue must lie at the CU. I am comfortable with most domestic electrics but won't touch a CU...even if it's off. Time to call the professionals. Shout if anyone is in West Yorkshire and can spare a couple hours (paid of course!) otherwise will check the local classifieds.

Unfortunately even putting the wires that were taped together into a junction box didn't solve the issue. Given I've mapped the entire circuit, changed all sockets, checked all junction boxes, the earth issue must lie at the CU. I am comfortable with most domestic electrics but won't touch a CU...even if it's off. Time to call the professionals. Shout if anyone is in West Yorkshire and can spare a couple hours (paid of course!) otherwise will check the local classifieds.
Whereabouts in West Yorkshire are you located?

Just outside Hebden Bridge. Could also do with CU upgrade (to Hager with 30A RCBOs) at the same time
is that anywhere near to Leeds. Glennsparks is in Leeds and he's a top man. NICEIC approved contractor.

Reply to Continuous earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net