Converting to a TT system... possibly | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Converting to a TT system... possibly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
1.25ohm external earth fault loop impedance on TN-S supply to building

Supply authority stated our only option is a TT conversion as they will not covert to PME.

What would be my best course of action when converting to a TT as the building is quite old and i do not want a 100ma main switch for diversity reasons and nuisance tripping, so Would it be suitable to convert to TT and have all final circuits in a RCBO with a board charge?

IMO, this is the DNO's baby, and if they are trying to bum the problem off to the Electrician doing works,I would wack a rod in, up front 100ma rcd .
Why? Would you be paying for it? The DNO should sort it, the end-user should not have to fork out for it.

Oh yeh Its reg 24 ESQCR by the way...
24.—(1) A distributor or meter operator shall ensure that each item of his equipment which is on a consumer’s premises but which is not under the control of the consumer (whether forming part of the consumer’s installation or not) is—

(a)suitable for its purpose;

(b)installed and, so far as is reasonably practicable, maintained so as to prevent danger; and

So what is your Zs on say the RFC?
With the 80% rule of thumb? 1.06 so would not meet required disconnection time as already alluded to.
1.10 ohms with the temperature correction however at maximum cable operating temperature of 70 degrees the maximum zs will be 1.37 ohms.
If it is too high at 1.10 ohms then it’s obviously too high at maximum operation temperature.
Will it ever reach 70 degrees?
In most cases probably not.

This Lazy, Cavalier attitude worries me, frankly.

Listen just because you do not know how to deal with this situation does not give you the right to throw about comments like that.

The op has reportes to he DNO and they have given an answer.

So you, as a contractor can either play phone call tennis for weeks on end or put the installation right with what you have.

I would choose to put it right, get paid and move on.

Reply to Converting to a TT system... possibly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net