Cooker Connection | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Cooker Connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, let me know what your thoughts are as to MCB size, cable size of cable from cooker to wall, nothing more, just let me know, then ill tell you what I have just found.

The cooker uses 10.4kW to 11.6kW, its free standing, 4 rings and double oven, new oven, well bought it off someone, but still has all labels on it etc, looks like its been used once. So lets just say on christmas day when you have stuff warning in the top oven, turkey in the bottom, and all 4 rings on boiling potatoes etc, the point is, it "could" draw 11.6kW.

1. What size MCB
2. What size cable for circuit
3. Size of cable from cooker to outlet.

Went to a goose fat farm today to add some supply's for more frier's. They have

6x3000w frier's.
4x6000w frier's.

Anyway once I had added in the new supplies I was intrigued and went and put my ammeter on the tails.

All on the go together (across 3 phases i must admit) plus the rest of the farm doing it's stuff, a cold store or two, plus the farmhouse. Most I could see was 35A on the heaviest phase, now that proves how diverse these sort of loads are.

Last edited:
Oh dear, well ill let her get someone else in that can do it as im back home now, I just couldn't bring myself to connect it, ill be honest, every cooker I have connected before only used <6kW so was a little, not confused, but made me think, and being mr safety I over engineered my thoughts.

I suppose you can't fault me as such for verging on the side of safety and avoiding problems, just when something tells you it used >10kW my brain switches to think, right 10mm cable.

I thought you weren't supposed to be doing anything electrical till the week of the 9th? Back to work early, needed a 'break'? :baby: !!! (That's what I did!)
Hope all's well with the new addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a goose fat farm today to add some supply's for more frier's. They have

6x3000kw frier's.
4x6000kw frier's.

Anyway once I had added in the new supplies I was intrigued and went and put my ammeter on the tails.

All on the go together (across 3 phases i must admit) plus the rest of the farm doing it's stuff, a cold store or two, plus the farmhouse. Most I could see was 35A on the heaviest phase, now that proves how diverse these sort of loads are.

Hope you mean 3KW & 6KW as 3000KW is 3MW....!!

Can you just clarify though, can it or can it not draw 11.6kW?

Without further information I'm going to say NO based on the assumption it is like all cookers and has elements which cannot physically be switched on at the same time as certain others.

But let's assume that it could draw the 11.6KW if you switched all the controls on to full and then switched the power on at the CCU so that the whole lot comes on at once. It will draw that 11.6KW initially, but only for a short duration. So if it is on a 32A supply you would get a short duration overload.
Now does the term 'short duration overload' ring any bells? Particularly with reference to being perfectly safe and acceptable under the current regulations and all common sense?

Also it will still be well within the MCB's operating curve, and correct cable calculation will result in a cable which can safely handle any current the selected MCB will allow to flow.

I thought you weren't supposed to be doing anything electrical till the week of the 9th? Back to work early, needed a 'break'? :baby: !!! (That's what I did!)
Hope all's well the new addition.

yes I know, I'm being naughty. The new one kept me up till 4am again.

I get the point, next time I'll just connect it and have done with it.

yes I know, I'm being naughty. The new one kept me up till 4am again.

I get the point, next time I'll just connect it and have done with it.

The main thing mate, is to trust your calculations / apply your diversity and feel confident in your skills.you have trained to become an electrician and therefore have to act like one ( not a dig by the way ). it is a bit like a sat nav in the car, it is pointless having one if you're not going to trust it.

trust a sat. nav.? in your dreams. sat navs have taken me up farm tracks to locked gates, down roads with signs on saying unsuitable for vehicles, told me to take 3rd exit at a roundabout that was traffic lights, 5th exit from a roundabout that only had 4 exits. trust??? i'd rather trust harold shipman with my grandmother.

Trust you Tel! lol.
You get my point though regarding trusting your calcs and diversity, otherwise it becomes like painting with numbers!

trust a sat. nav.? in your dreams. sat navs have taken me up farm tracks to locked gates, down roads with signs on saying unsuitable for vehicles, told me to take 3rd exit at a roundabout that was traffic lights, 5th exit from a roundabout that only had 4 exits. trust??? i'd rather trust harold shipman with my grandmother.

Pmsl! You don't half come out with some good ones tel. Should have been a comedian!

Can I borrow your satnav please? I'ma crazy landrover driver and always go looking for roads with those nice blue 'unsuitable for motor vehicles signs' at the start of them :D

And before anyone complains my friends and I are responsible users of the rural lanes and do take the time to check that the lanes we drive on are legally classified as 'byways open to all traffic' or 'Other routes with public access' and not closed or restricted by local authorities.

How about this for experience, .....up to 15KW cooker load, supplied with 6mm/7/044 T&E, protected by a 32A/30A, MCB- HRC fuse/3036 fuse. This has been the standard scenario for well in excess of 60 years now. How many times have you heard of the MCB tripping out, or the fuse blowing on Xmas Day??

Oh, and all these cooker manufacturers, all seem to state ''connected'' load, which in most cases isn't the actual max load you can present to the supply, as some elements can't be utilised at the same time.... So in most cases you can ignore the first 1 to 1.2KW of the manufacturers connected load figures....

Reply to Cooker Connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net