Crimps in consumer unit? | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I learn so much from this site that I don't mind doing some donkey work as a way of showing my appreciation.
btw great photo

Here we go, I suggest you're sitting when reading this and don't get caught in the stampede to purchase them. :ihih:
All items are manufactured by Klauke.

SV1525 Uninsulated butt crimps (100) for solid copper conductors of 1.5/2.5mm² £9.70 +VAT £11.64

K2 Indent crimping tool suitable for SV1525 crimps £75.78 +VAT £90.94

K93 Hex crimping tool suitable for SV1525 crimps £155.03 +VAT £186.04

Supplier: The company who do tricks with electrical cables. 01327 876769

They don't seem to have crimps for solid 1mm² conductors.

I thought my crimpers were expensive at £20 and £31 and apparently not compliant for solid conductors.

If your mad enough to spend that much on a crimping tool more fool you!! I've been using good quality crimp tools on equally good quality butt and other crimps for donkey's years now, and never had a failure i know about yet!!

As i've stated, i prefer bare crimping components, (or the heat shrink insulated type) so it's an indent type crimping tool that i use, that deforms the conductor within the crimp. Then it's just a matter of heat shrink tubing to insulate, usually one over the crimp connection, (butt crimps) and another over all to meet conductors insulation...

If your mad enough to spend that much on a crimping tool more fool you!! I've been using good quality crimp tools on equally good quality butt and other crimps for donkey's years now, and never had a failure i know about yet!!

As i've stated, i prefer bare crimping components, (or the heat shrink insulated type) so it's an indent type crimping tool that i use, that deforms the conductor within the crimp. Then it's just a matter of heat shrink tubing to insulate, usually one over the crimp connection, (butt crimps) and another over all to meet conductors insulation...

Totally agree,54.
Can you alucidate? i.e. brand(s), supplier(s) and cost(s).

Thanks for finding all that out Zap!
I'll put them on my 'Things to buy when I'm a Millionaire' list. :)

In the meantime, I'll carry on with regular crimps. Bearing in mind we're talking about fixed wiring joints here, under no mechanical stress or strain.

If they're good enough for E54, they're good enough for me!

Totally agree,54.
Can you alucidate? i.e. brand(s), supplier(s) and cost(s).

Most of the crimp terminals were purchased in the main from RS, the crimping tool is a BICC supplied tool, can't say i remember the model, as it's back home in Cyprus!! lol!! Also have other crimping tools, some of them are HURA (or something like that anyway) ...lol!!

Sorry can't give you prices, as mine all come from the various contractors over the years!! lol!!

Cheers Zap :smug: ive tried to dig out the solid core crimpers in the past to back my argument up but as you have found its a bugger to try get details and costing but this aside the very fact that they make a butt crimp designed for solid and a crimping tool to suit re-enforces my argument the standard £20-£30 ratchet crimpet in some sparkies tool kit is not suitable for solid nor are the R/Y/B crimps or why would they make ratchet and crimps designed for solids in the first place.

I`m using a forge steel ratchet crimper, insulated red (for 1 and 1,5mm) and blue (2.5mm) crimps, from screwfix. never had any issues with it.

I`m using a forge steel ratchet crimper, insulated red (for 1 and 1,5mm) and blue (2.5mm) crimps, from screwfix. never had any issues with it.
Amlu read the lengthy thread it digresssed to a thread about crimping solid core cables and the fact that you shouldn't with standard crimps and ratchet ... and as Zap has discovered the correct crimper can cost you £100 and the butt crimps that you need to use for solid are on a link he posted, we are not debating the quality of crimpers on the market.

Cheers Zap :smug: ive tried to dig out the solid core crimpers in the past to back my argument up but as you have found its a bugger to try get details and costing but this aside the very fact that they make a butt crimp designed for solid and a crimping tool to suit re-enforces my argument the standard £20-£30 ratchet crimpet in some sparkies tool kit is not suitable for solid nor are the R/Y/B crimps or why would they make ratchet and crimps designed for solids in the first place.

In order to take £190 out of those daft enough to put their hand in the pocket to pay it!!!

ive always extended cables by soldering and slipping a heat shrink sleeve over ..no need to get the soldering iron out for small cables .can be done with smoke lighter .think it gives a bombproof connection over a greater surface area as the solder bonds to every part of each wire .good for solid and stranded and when mixing the two types .

Crimps in cu. guys do you set any limits on numbers before a din rail. I was taught one or two as last resort but more and it's a no no. Would welcome your views.

Screwless connectors haven't been around long enough in domestic circuits to be able to say they are faultless.

Screwless connectors have however been around in commercial / industrial installations for a long time and they do fail.

was connecting legrand light switches on an ahu, they are terrible

Two issues I have with crimping cables are

1 - testing is a nightmare
2 - gotta cut the crimp off & discard if for any reason which is likely. Ceramic blocks I used for years till wagos came out. Hellermann are good too. I've realised con. Blocks have come down in price recently.

Two issues I have with crimping cables are

1 - testing is a nightmare
2 - gotta cut the crimp off & discard if for any reason which is likely. Ceramic blocks I used for years till wagos came out. Hellermann are good too. I've realised con. Blocks have come down in price recently.

depends what type of crimp though.

for example in bms, you crimp all cables in ferrules then into temp sensors etc. to test you could put in connector block if you like (12/24v dc never hurt anyone)

My 2p worth
Properly done crimps are ok. even on solid cables.
Properly done Connectors are ok
Properly done JB's are ok

I think the key point here is the skill and care taken by the operator.
In reality how many 'well done' junction boxes have you had to locate and replace?
I know for a fact that virtually ALL of the ones that I have had to fault find have been bodged.

My 2p worth
Properly done crimps are ok. even on solid cables.
Properly done Connectors are ok
Properly done JB's are ok

I think the key point here is the skill and care taken by the operator.
In reality how many 'well done' junction boxes have you had to locate and replace?
I know for a fact that virtually ALL of the ones that I have had to fault find have been bodged.

thats because there a favorrete of diy ers

ive always extended cables by soldering and slipping a heat shrink sleeve over ..no need to get the soldering iron out for small cables .can be done with smoke lighter .think it gives a bombproof connection over a greater surface area as the solder bonds to every part of each wire .good for solid and stranded and when mixing the two types .

Been told years ago by by supervisor that soldering is a big no... in case of joint heating and de-soldering itself. i`m quite good with soldering, this put me off a bit, used crimps after that.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Crimps in consumer unit?
Originally Posted by pottymotty [ElectriciansForums.net] Crimps in consumer unit?

That type of solder your using there maybe OK for use on thin electronic wire, but i certainly wouldn't use it to solder mains voltage current carrying building cables.

Just bumping some threads in the Electrical Wiring Theories and Regulations forum category here on our Electricians Forums. If this specific topic isn't current, just ignore it, it'll drop off the list in no time. However, if it's something you'd like to contribute to, feel free to reply and bring it back into current discussion.

Reply to Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net