Crimps in consumer unit? | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

2nd carton of popcorn started.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Crimps in consumer unit?
I'm on my 4th haha

eng54...:wheelchair:.................Kas 1.....:60: I like them both, but who to choose? Theres only one way to find out....:boxing_smiley: Ha Ha, no offence meant to either, just discovered all the smilies

Yes the joints were soldered using the correct solder,heat shrinked individual cores,heat shrinked over the t&e and then insulated taped as well to provide a perfect joint.
I yanked them like mad(which is a technical term) and they didn't come off so I think it'll be ok.
I don't much domestic as you can probably see!!!

Wago's have got to be the next best thing to sliced bread in my opinion.

Over here in France we can have junction boxes that can take over an hour to cable up using connector blocks, with Wago's you are talking about a 10th of the time, and when time is money, it does not take a lot of working out what one wins.

Jesus Christ!

I know they've stopped teaching how to solder joints but I didn't realise they were teaching that they are against regs.

Yes a bad solder joint is a bad joint but so is any form of connection done wrongly.

So You rewire a lighting circuit. Pull your nice new Twin and Earth through an old conduit system,,, strip it back, Connect the line and switch line. and sleave the Earth!!!!

Crap no earth lug!! Ok I just wrap it around a screw!!! Or do i use a nice red lug crimp and then tap the box.

If you answered Wrap it then shame on you,, seen this type of thing come off many times...

If you said crimp a nice red lug on the "solid core" then Im with you its a much more Professional joint and less likely to come off.

So You rewire a lighting circuit. Pull your nice new Twin and Earth through an old conduit system,,, strip it back, Connect the line and switch line. and sleave the Earth!!!!

Crap no earth lug!! Ok I just wrap it around a screw!!! Or do i use a nice red lug crimp and then tap the box.

If you answered Wrap it then shame on you,, seen this type of thing come off many times...

If you said crimp a nice red lug on the "solid core" then Im with you its a much more Professional joint and less likely to come off.

Id say always make sure your prepared for job in hand.. the preferredmethod here would be a cup and washer which was designed for solid core i have a tub of them and wouldn't crimp a lug unless stranded i also agree just wrapping it around isnt effective ... it might seem im just been picky here but the earth crimp as any other must also be able to withstand in some cases 1000's of amps in a short circuit and this is where the failures have been seen when manufacturers test there crimps to destruction...

Zap has provided an excellent example of a butt crimp that has been designed for solid core cable and for this crimp you would need a different ratchet crimper than you are used to with standard red/blu/yellow lugs or butt crimps.

That is a perfect way to explain the crimps situation well done
Id say always make sure your prepared for job in hand.. the preferredmethod here would be a cup and washer which was designed for solid core i have a tub of them and wouldn't crimp a lug unless stranded i also agree just wrapping it around isnt effective ... it might seem im just been picky here but the earth crimp as any other must also be able to withstand in some cases 1000's of amps in a short circuit and this is where the failures have been seen when manufacturers test there crimps to destruction...

Zap has provided an excellent example of a butt crimp that has been designed for solid core cable and for this crimp you would need a different ratchet crimper than you are used to with standard red/blu/yellow lugs or butt crimps.

I did get a response and there are two available from three well known store names. I'm not getting a response from them as of now so I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Here we go, I suggest you're sitting when reading this and don't get caught in the stampede to purchase them. :ihih:
All items are manufactured by Klauke.

SV1525 Uninsulated butt crimps (100) for solid copper conductors of 1.5/2.5mm² £9.70 +VAT £11.64

K2 Indent crimping tool suitable for SV1525 crimps £75.78 +VAT £90.94

K93 Hex crimping tool suitable for SV1525 crimps £155.03 +VAT £186.04

Supplier: The company who do tricks with electrical cables. 01327 876769

They don't seem to have crimps for solid 1mm² conductors.

I thought my crimpers were expensive at £20 and £31 and apparently not compliant for solid conductors.

Last edited:

Reply to Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net