downlighters on ground floor! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss downlighters on ground floor! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have been asked to fit downlighters to a hallway and also a kitchen all on the ground floor.

The customer would prefer me not to take up the carpet and floor boards above, but I cant see anyway around this? I might be lucky with the hallway and have them all in a straight line running the same way as the joists and manage it with cable rods but the kitchen will have the lights all over the place.

Is there anyway of doing this without taking up the floorboards?

Cheers all...

I think I'll go for carpets and floorboards rather than holes in the ceiling!! Didn't realise I'd have to learn a whole new set of skills on top of the electrics! Plasterer, carpet fitter, social worker, etc etc etc.

I have just fitted 6 downlights in a bungalow, so easy access up in the loft. I charged £200 for labour and parts (6 hours and good downlights).

What am I going to charge for this for labour?? Absolutely no idea? 12-20 downlights in 2 hallways and a kitchen, involving taking up floorboards and relaying carpet?? :frown2:

Always like the honest approach, I'm not a carpet fitter and will explain that to the customer.

Just a quick one.... You earnings where what? £60
Good quality downlight £15/£20? Plus cable, clips etc etc

lathe and plaster ceiling....pull down where required to gain access to cables and new light fittings. Plasterer to re-board completely over existing ceiling and skim (nice smooth finish). Much better finish and good firm plaster for the light fittings fixings.

I was just thinking this also

Thats great Mickey but it was Dave that said it!

Just a quick one.... You earnings where what? £60
Good quality downlight £15/£20? Plus cable, clips etc etc

I charge £20 p/hr if I like the customer/job, £25 if I dont!! I earnt £120 for the labour. lights were JCC (approx £10 each - see my other thread - I like them), 10m's of 1mm is not much is it. overheads £10-20. Customer was happy. £60????????????????????

im about to install downlights in a property, bathroom, 3 bedrooms and a hallway, 26 downlights in total.

Should be a nice easy job, each room already has a dimmer fitted and its on the 1st floor so access from the loft is easy peasy!

I have no idea how much to charge though! Especially not after reading you would charge 300 for 6 downlights!!

if there is a bedroom above kitchen is it not possible to move any furniture over to one side,then peel carpet back 3 feet and get either 1 whole length of floorboard dependant on what way the joists go or take up a few small sections if not then holesaw either side of the joists,drill through joists(carefully make sure there are no existing cables you will hit),fish cables through,keep all the circular discs that you cut out,some 2"x1" batten,put back up,screw back the discs that you cut out for access,use filler,paint,job done.You can manage that in a day.

i've done a few like that, but you need to protect the cables. capping is useless, use the 3mm thick ones with spikes that are designed for this very purpose.

[ElectriciansForums.net] downlighters on ground floor!

They look perfect Telectrix, Thanks.
had a quick scan on ebay and screwfix but cant find them? Where do you get them from and what are they called?

Did a downlight job in a flat roofed kitchen extension. I found the edge of all the joists I needed to get through and cut the ceiling with a hole saw just big enough for my angle drill and shortened flat bit.... Kept the cut out plaster board and fitted them back with a bit of wood and glue, real easy to make good with filler!

Thats great Mickey but it was Dave that said it!

I charge £20 p/hr if I like the customer/job, £25 if I dont!! I earnt £120 for the labour. lights were JCC (approx £10 each - see my other thread - I like them), 10m's of 1mm is not much is it. overheads £10-20. Customer was happy. £60????????????????????

Calm down, it was Dave that said it but how about give me a chance to read the thread?
And like I said, "just a quick one" downlights at the wholesalers here last time I checked were at least £15 that's all. Excuse me for only having the opportunity to fit aurora led's recently.

Calm down, it was Dave that said it but how about give me a chance to read the thread?
And like I said, "just a quick one" downlights at the wholesalers here last time I checked were at least £15 that's all. Excuse me for only having the opportunity to fit aurora led's recently.

Sorry chap, I was a bit firey. Thought you were having a dig and I'm not my usually relaxed hippy self at the moment. :wilted_rose:

biff, that's the industrial sparks in you talking. us lesser mortals that do domestic crap have to conceal everything except for the shiny new accessories that the customer can brag about to the neighbours.

biff, that's the industrial sparks in you talking. us lesser mortals that do domestic crap have to conceal everything except for the shiny new accessories that the customer can brag about to the neighbours.

ah , that explains it.
saying that , i did a small domestic job on satuarday...
god it was awful lol , gland to be back to tray & conduit today ;-)

6 hours seems about right for someone like hippy, still on the learning curve, ( no disrespect if i've got that wrong) and for us old farts who take a bit longer to get the legs motivated.

6 hours for 6 lights ??

an hour per light ? LMAO !
No, 5 1/2 hours getting cables to the right place through key-hole surgery, and half an hour to make up and fit the lights.

This afternoon I had to extend a ring for a new socket 3 metres away from an existing one running surface (ok I spurred off a spur, but shhh!), and it took me over three hours. Why? Because I had to move wardrobe, bed, ----y glass display cabinet that had to be emptied of dozens of sh1tty little glass pigs and other smashable crap, do the wiring, then move all the junk back.

Reply to downlighters on ground floor! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net