Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DIYBlues

Hi Guys
I’m no electrician but I’m going to do some electrical work in my bathroom and understand the issues surrounding Part P and the building regulations. However I would rather be up front and say I’m still going to tackle it (although I’m not a complete novice at electrical work, replacing my Consumer Unit a few years ago and rewired my kitchen).
I’ve done a electrical drawing of how I think the wiring could be done, I will be using Wago Light boxes and Wago Junction boxes. The lights are 9w each and although the fan isolating switch shows it in the bathroom area they are actually going to be installed in the airing cupboard nearby.

Because of the extracting fan units (Timed) I’m going to take the power for the bathroom and on suite straight from its own 6amp MCB on the RCD unit (protected after the 30mA breaker on the RCD)

Please feel free to comment on the drawing and if I’ve gone wrong somewhere or I need to incorporate additional protection / fuse please let me know.

There may be one additional shaving socket in the main bathroom depending on which mirror/cabinet I purchase.

Regards
DIYBlues

[ElectriciansForums.net] Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!!

oh i dunno maybe part p membership, insurence, calibrated test instruments and knowledge to use them. Its a special location and the cost to certify correctly warrants using a qualified spark

He's not asking for your part p membership, he isn't asking to make a claim on your insurance, he isn't asking to borrow your equipment nor is he asking you how to test and inspect. He isn't asking for you to send him a certificate neither.
It's his own house and it's up to him what he does in it. He isn't out working as a spark illegally he just wants to make sure he's right. He didn't ask us how to do it. He went out and done his own homework and just asked some one to glance over it.

I feel the thread has gone way off course from the opening post I bet the op is reading this thinking "oh dear what have I started. I only asked if my wiring diagram looked correct"

if it were organised properly, only qualified sparks allowed to buy gear, the suppliers would still sell the same amount of gear, just not to the general pubic.
But the question still remains. Where do you draw the line?
Bags of multifinish, bricks, car parts, timber etc etc
Because if one trade was legally restricted wouldn't they all want the same protection? All DIYers be up the creek without a paddle and there'd be no more sheds, DIY stores, nowhere you could buy wallpaper or paint. How far do you want to go?
I'll happily multiskill in my own home albeit while being aware of my own limitations but if trades were ring fenced I'd be legally obliged to call a plumber in to fix a leaking tap

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not asking for your part p membership, he isn't asking to make a claim on your insurance, he isn't asking to borrow your equipment nor is he asking you how to test and inspect. He isn't asking for you to send him a certificate neither.
It's his own house and it's up to him what he does in it. He isn't out working as a spark illegally he just wants to make sure he's right. He didn't ask us how to do it. He went out and done his own homework and just asked some one to glance over it.

I feel the thread has gone way off course from the opening post I bet the op is reading this thinking "oh dear what have I started. I only asked if my wiring diagram looked correct"

Well said Mickey86

But the question still remains. Where do you draw the line?
Bags of multifinish, bricks, car parts, timber etc etc
Because if one trade was legally restricted wouldn't they all want the same protection and all DIYers be up the creek without a paddle?
I'll happily multiskill in my own home albeit while being aware of my own limitations but if trades were ring fenced I'd be legally obliged to call a plumber in to fix a leaking tap

I completely agree with what you are saying here Trev but I find it slightly hypocrytical that you admit to working on your own car (which could potentially be far more fatally dangerous than a bad electrical installation for say, the 8 months till your next MOT) but you constantly, obsessivley tick people off for wanting to do their own electrical work in their own house.

Your bad brakes could not only kill you and your passengers but other road users/ pedestrians aswell. This is far less likely if you did some not quite right wiring in your own house.

Now Im sure that you are every bit as capable of changing your pads safely as a mechanic with 4 years training and experience but you refuse to accept that the same is true of electrical work.

And yes I know what your gonna say, its illegal to do DIY wiring in your bathroom without notification, but IMO its about as illegal as doing 32mph through a village in the middle of the night, the majority of people simply do not care about petty, uneneforcable, pointless rules to the extent that you seem to.

Part P is there to stop builders doing their own rough wiring in other peoples houses day in day out, in the same way that 30 limits are there to stop you doing 90 past a school at half 8 in the morning.

........." How about "Give us his name so we can persue this, as he has broken the law"?

The responsibility for ensuring building regs compliance and electrical notification is with the homeowner , not the electrician , and I can assure you that is the law.

Secondly , if the electrician is experienced , qualified , provides the correct certificates , and ensures his work complies with current regs , how will a Local Authority prove in court he isnt competant just because he's not in a scheme ?
It will never happen , the council will lose more cases than it wins , wasting money they havent got to begin with.

Anyways , back to the original post , anyone who can provide an electrical drawing as good as the OP's is worthy of assistance , sparky or not.

Part P is there to stop builders doing their own rough wiring in other peoples houses day in day out,

that's what we all thought when part p came out. sadly, it is an abysmal failure. part p stops well qualified sparks from competing on price with bob the builder who does not know the difference between a FCU and a brick, and whose idea of testing is to switch it on and see if it works.

Oh , and the debate about suppliers selling electrical and building materials only to the relevant trades .....
Your joking right ?
Companies like B&Q have huge political clout , and unrestricted trade is one of the most important underpinning principles of our economy.

Ridiculous concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I didn't say I did my own brake pad changes. What I said was I could if I wanted to.
I'm aware of my own limitations and stopping the car before killing someone/myself is one of them. Actually I would not trust myself to change the pads because I know that the mechanic with training will do the job better, quicker and to a higher standard than I would and that he probably has a set of test procedures to go through before handing my car back to me.
I also said that I could go and buy a boiler and a load of pipe, that doesn't mean that I'm off out on Monday throwing in heating systems

Sorry to come across as a bit arsey here mate but I do not see any hypocrisy in anything I've said and the only times I tick people off for wanting to do their own electrics is if I get the idea that they're out of their depth.

Part P is there to stop builders dfoing shoddy electrical work? Yeah right, like that's ever worked

Whether part P is a good thing for safety or not, the point is that many of us go through a lot of hassle and expense so that we can conform with the law, while others don't bother. It makes me mad when I hear that a sparky has wired up a new extension, but not issued a certificate because they have no test gear and are not registered....and what do LBC say to the homeowner? "oh, well you will have to find a registered electrician to do an EICR for you then." How about "Give us his name so we can persue this, as he has broken the law"?

We moan if someone doesn't pay their road tax, or insure their car, regardless of whether or not they are a good driver because we feel that if we have to do it, why shouldn't they?
Part P is the same to me... I have done it, so should they!

Rant over.

Everything in life is a gamble, some people are better at it than others.
Why should burglars get free TV's and jewelry? Its not fair...
Why should gypsies get free tools and sat navs?
Its a gamble, they get something for free but chances are it will catch up with them.

Same with Part P, Im registered but I have nothing against guys who arn't, im certainly not going to grass them up just because I feel sorry for myself. Its their decision, they're not hurting anyone, a lot of them are perfectly competent. The risk they run is that they may get turned away jobs because of it or have trouble with building inspectors, or have to constantly pay their mates to sign off work for them.

If you dont like paying for registration, then don't be registered. Live and let live.

Hi Top Cat

I think I'm hated more then I am loved on here, however I didn't think it would cause so much controversy, BUT Mickys86 said it much better then I could have.

Thanks Mickeys86, Thanks Top Cat and Thanks Dave 85

Reply to Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net