Electricity DNO Supply installation outdated and UNSAFE? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electricity DNO Supply installation outdated and UNSAFE? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Moving into my new property in a couple of weeks to find a concerning electrical installation in the cubby hole underneath ther stairs. I have attached a couple of pictures of the installation.

1. Does this main feed from the DNO (#3) look safe (left hand picture)? It is corroded and appears unsafe. What to do?
  2. I am a bit confused with all the bits labelled up with numbers. Can anyone in the know comment?
The house was built over 100 years ago and any steer on what to do would be appreciated. The electrical supply components are in the living area (okay under the stairs and in a cubby hole) and appear as if they need relocating to the outside.

Many thanks!

D

[ElectriciansForums.net] Electricity DNO Supply installation outdated and UNSAFE?

A lot to unpack here.
first the items numbered are as follows

1 main cut-out fuse
2 spare unused cut-out fuse
3 service head
4 spare unused cut-out fuse
5 a damaged cable joint (often called a henly block)
6 & 7 henly blocks

If it were my house, I would call the DNO and tell them that a connection on one of the cables between the service head and the meter is damaged and you can access the screws.
ask them to come and make it safe. (item 5)

then when the engineer comes to do the replacement of the damaged block, you can ask them there opinion on the service head itself.

James, Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it...

(I did receive some feedback explainign the service head was a Three phase supply hence why x3 100W fuse blocks, is this possible?)

Not withstanding...I DO LIKE the idea of calling the DNO out regarding the damaged Henly Block... this brings about a wider question of why it got damaged in the first place....

The installation is underneath the stairs in a broom cupboard / Cubby hole, where I assume coats brooms and stuff have been stored...Note the installation of gas meter in the "middle" of the floorspace.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Electricity DNO Supply installation outdated and UNSAFE?

I wonder whether the question of the damaged Henly Block should be extended to a sfae place for an installation of this sort? I don't know whether I am stretching here. Ideal;ly I'd like the thing moved outside. Whether there is a case for this I do not know, the home owner is also an OAP so.... gawd knows what she would put inot this place.

<edit1> I am wanting to upgrade the electric in the property in the future too and I cannot see how the electrician would isolate the consumer unit from the supply? Would this also be useful in requesting from the DNO?

<edit2> Sorry about this constant editing but anothber question where does the home owners reswponsibility start and the DNO's ends?

CHeers

D

Last edited:

Reply to Electricity DNO Supply installation outdated and UNSAFE? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net