Search the forum,

Discuss EV Charger Installation - Cabling Query? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm pretty certain there is no external earth rod installed for this.
As the unit has been installed for use internally; is this perhaps the reason why no earth rod was installed or required?
This is a good point. Section 722 only says PME earthing shall not be used if the charge point is located externally OR if it is located internally and is used to charge a vehicle located outdoors.
If you only ever intend to charge the car in the garage then I guess this is ok.
I’d be interested in others thoughts on this?

This is a good point. Section 722 only says PME earthing shall not be used if the charge point is located externally OR if it is located internally and is used to charge a vehicle located outdoors.
If you only ever intend to charge the car in the garage then I guess this is ok.

Would like to know too now! Does it still mean charging the car outside from the inside unit is still a no-no?

Again, what are the risks in doing so?

I agree it's location is a bone of contention but then again wherever it's location like any other socket on a ground floor level it could be used out of doors.

I do this all the time, for the lawnmower....as I don't have an external socket - use an internal socket connected to an extension reel.

Would like to know too now! Does it still mean charging the car outside from the inside unit is still a no-no?

Again, what are the risks in doing so?
It does mean charging the vehicle outside is a 'no no'. I 'think' it also means the vehicle should not even be capable of being charged outside if PME is used.
Here is an article that you will find interesting and it explains the risks associated with using PME earthing.

Attachments

• EV charhing and PME.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 26
if the prohibition of PME for EV chargers is to eliminate risk if the supply N is lost (as with metalclad caravans) the I can't see any reason to differentiate between inside or outside. a fault occuring would have a similar result, in or out. then, i have not done any research on EV so my knowledge is limited.

I've never looked in any detail at the EV chargers regulations as ive never needed to yet. My thoughts are only based on my logic and what i've seen on the forum.

I assume the desire to connect the chargers to a TT earthing system relates to the car being connected to the installation earth whilst charging and thus becoming live during a PEN failure when connected to PME.
So if the car is inside then it becomes a big piece of exposed earthed metal whilst charging, so if it was connected to a TT system whilst the rest of the installation is connected to PME then the car would be an extraneous part to the installation introducing a dangerous earth potential.

As long as the installer made you aware that the car must only be charged inside then it's all good. Maybe a sticker stating this on the charger itself as a reminder would have been a good idea too.

As long as the installer made you aware that the car must only be charged inside then it's all good. Maybe a sticker stating this on the charger itself as a reminder would have been a good idea too.

Actually, when the installation team of 2 were out here. I did query about the cabling size to see if there was any possibility in charging the car outside, with the garaged closed (concerned that the cabling would not accommodate?). Installer didn't say or point out this concern; instead is was actually suggesting that my cabling could potentially fit through the side gap in the garage to allow outside charging! So makes you wonder eh?

Reply to EV Charger Installation - Cabling Query? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net