Flex for fixed wiring | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Flex for fixed wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Would you suggest flex for fixed wiring on an EICR is a C3? The client has basically run flex from one socket to a surface socket (i.e. a glorified extension lead). However I would say this is fixed wiring.

What does 521.9.1 mean where it states "only where the the relevant provisions of the regulations are met"? Does this mean CCC, installation method, overload protection etc.

I came across a 2G socket in a kitchen last year, spured off a socket in the adjacent room - the cable was 0.75mm flex

Needless to say the flex was removed.
Aye......found a fused spur for a burglar alarm.....fed in alarm cable from a double socket......at least he'd doubled up the cores, though!

Back to thread.....I never like flex used for permanent installs, certainly on power circuits. All has been discussed, I know, but I would generally include it in the notes as inappropriate wiring....after all, a report has a lot to do with your opinion.

Last edited:
Aye......found a fused spur for a burglar alarm.....fed in alarm cable from a double socket......at least he'd doubled up the cores, though!

Back to thread.....I never like flex used for permanent installs, certainly on power circuits. All has been discussed, I know, but I would generally include it in the notes as inappropriate wiring....after all, a report has a lot to do with your opinion.

edit. Baffled with that repeat???

Last edited:
Back to thread.....I never like flex used for permanent installs, certainly on power circuits.

I'm not sure the flex was used for permanent install. I'm waiting for @charlie76 to reply to my question at the end of my post #17.

No it isn't. A plug top is the cover of the plug, the bit that is held on with a screw and has no electrical connections.

Incorrect - the original meaning of a 13A plug-top is the whole plug assembly.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Flex for fixed wiring

'13 amp Plug top' for me, too. There can be all sorts and types of plugs......including them what hold the water in me bath....

edit..^^beat me to it.
OK.....for sticking in your ears.

Because many refer to them wrongly does not make it right.

It is not wrong, although I agree it isn't used much these days. I suggest you read some old books on electrical engineering, installation, etc. It is the full name for a plug. It never meant the top cover of a plug!

A quick Google check shows that at least Farnell, Tool Station and Amazon still refer to them as plug top, amongst others.

Don't know why I'm banging on about it really, I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't criticised someone for using correct terminology originally.

I fitted literally dozens of plug tops in the 1st year of my apprenticeship, all MK and they had 'Hospital Property' embossed on the cover in red, didn't stop one or two going missing over the years though.:)

Just fitted an MK plug top (complete with proper knurled screw terminal tops) to a 1970s ghetto blaster. Lovely quality. The plug and the radio!

Reply to Flex for fixed wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net