Flex in a consumer unit | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Flex in a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dec1977

Hello there, Is there any regulation regarding the use of flex in consumer units. eg. Can a 1.5 x 3core be used as a supply cable from an 6a mcb to a fused spur feeding downlights? I came across this the day and I was curious if it was within the regs. Thanks for your time.

I've almost finished a job rewiring power in a gym in LSOH flexes. The flexes are all run on steel wire basket, flexible PVC conduits, and dado trunking. All connections are crimped with bootlace crimps at the distribution board and at all socket outlets. This is what the project engineer and project foreman agreed on due to time and cost issues. Also the foreman showed the SELECT inspector the job and he was had no issues with this wiring system.

I've almost finished a job rewiring power in a gym in LSOH flexes. The flexes are all run on steel wire basket, flexible PVC conduits, and dado trunking. All connections are crimped with bootlace crimps at the distribution board and at all socket outlets. This is what the project engineer and project foreman agreed on due to time and cost issues. Also the foreman showed the SELECT inspector the job and he was had no issues with this wiring system.

I'd like to see the figures they were using to come up with that little gem!! lol!!

I'm a crazy --- mo fo

shanky said snips to nic all round.

Usually on do that with yy though as we sleeve it, if flex usually knife.

Company im doing my apprenticeship with use sy for motor's etc which is not right at all (the screen as the cpc) way too small.

Don't the regs state to follow manufacturers instructions? Sy was designed as a control cable so technically you could say its not following the manufacturers instructions

Oh dear, there must be a new breed of Electrician that think it's okay, not for me anyway!!, and I don't give a ---- what the regs say.
I know this is an old topic, if you get this message id love to hear your thoughts. There are loads of opions on here, not many explanations. Could you tell me why this is a rough way to do things? If its mechanically safe, why is it not good practice? (Im an apprentice)

10 year old thread…. That’s good going.

As mentioned, flex is ok in short lengths, but the main things against using flex instead of t&e totally are

Reduced mechanical protection. It has some, but not as much as t&e

Needs ferrules crimped onto conductor for use in most screw terminals

Price cost per metre.

Reduced mechanical protection. It has some, but not as much as t&e
I'd actually argue it's the other way around (mildly dependant on variety). HYY, HO7, HO5 (esp HT) are all way more robust than most makes of 624xY when it comes to things like bend/bash/abuse. How many times have we seen it where the outer sheath of 624xY get's caught and torn on a normal flat hammer clip.... rarely spotted the same on a round clip.

I know this is an old topic, if you get this message id love to hear your thoughts. There are loads of opions on here, not many explanations. Could you tell me why this is a rough way to do things? If its mechanically safe, why is it not good practice? (Im an apprentice)
Just seen this post OP #54 sums up my views so no point repeating

I'd actually argue it's the other way around (mildly dependant on variety). HYY, HO7, HO5 (esp HT) are all way more robust than most makes of 624xY when it comes to things like bend/bash/abuse. How many times have we seen it where the outer sheath of 624xY get's caught and torn on a normal flat hammer clip.... rarely spotted the same on a round clip.
So much variety and some are just not suitable, and ones that are suitable are just too expensive to use in an domestic set up.

Reply to Flex in a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net