following rewire ..... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss following rewire ..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

toofar

hello guys looking for your thoughts on the following

fully rewired a 3 bedroom tenement flat installed completely to the 17th edition wiring regulations issued completion certificate (niceic) i was 100% happy and confident on my job

customer tried to withold money as i hadent clipped any cabling for sockets and switches ,

i explained (yes it would be slightley better finish ) but i had already spoken to plasterer and he was comfortable with the job.

basically the customer made it a complete nightmare as if i had left an unsafe dangerous non compliant job

hyne site should have put clips in but jeez

I've never seen those tel, they're going to revolutionise my life on ex council solid walls. Forgive my ignorance - What are they called?!

oval conduit clips. 1 major make is egatube. should be able to get the tube in various sizes and the clips at same time. for socket drops i use the 25mm wide, so plenty room for 2 2.5mm

What utter rubbish, some comments are!!.If conduit/ oval tub etc had not been used previous, on a lot of my rewire jobs especially council flats and the like it would have been a pig! plus more time consuming, that's the trouble no one gives a ---- about future proving ( that's a new modern word)lol rant over.

or the correct clips for the oval tube.

View attachment 24655

only plumbers use them, get some proper saddles

[ElectriciansForums.net] following rewire .....

same but in galv

Agree with Trev. It's a strange statement you are making uksparks when you imply that pulling cables through tubes is not doing it properly !! Daz

Nothing wrong with using conduit, but it does seem pointless. I can't remember the last time I did a rewire where anything more than the odd light switch remained in the same place. As for futureproofing, not really as changes are usually adding things or moving them.

I can understand it in commercial/industrial where the majority of a route may remain and have new singles pulled in, but not on the majority of domestic rewires.

Hi,

Yeah I know, but nine times out of ten, you will need to make damage to the wall anyway, for what its worth, id rather just get the wall chaser and and make good again, the time you can spend trying to get cables down a crappy old bit of plastic is not worth it sometimes.

Nothing wrong with using conduit, but it does seem pointless. I can't remember the last time I did a rewire where anything more than the odd light switch remained in the same place. As for futureproofing, not really as changes are usually adding things or moving them.

I can understand it in commercial/industrial where the majority of a route may remain and have new singles pulled in, but not on the majority of domestic rewires.

Unless the actual door position in a room changes, then the light switch is going to be in exactly the same position, which has got to be the vast majority of cases, rather than the odd case!!

I suppose one advantage of being able to replace cables without too much chasing would be if the customer were to try putting up a shelf or hanging a picture in a safe zone, then you're in with a sporting chance of being able to pull the damaged cable out and the new cable in without having to get the wallpaper out.

Unless the actual door position in a room changes, then the light switch is going to be in exactly the same position, which has got to be the vast majority of cases, rather than the odd case!!

I guess it's about the customers I deal with. Light switches seem to be a favourite target, they want them moved closer to or further from the frame, higher or lower, a door swaps hand, two way is required where one way was original etc.

I blame grand designs and the like! Never underestimate the amount of messing about that'll be involved when customers are offered choice. :)

I suppose it's partly my fault as I assume that level of messing about will be required and price accordingly. So I ask what they want in each room, then ask where they want them. That comes from the fact that I can't/won't/don't compete on price. So I offer quality work to a high spec in the way that the customer requires.

As I said though, there's nothing wrong with using oval. It just doesn't seem to have any benefit for the majority of the work I do. By the time the next rewire is due in 20 or 30 years hard wired light control will probably be old hat and all the back boxes and chases will be filled in.

Managed to rewire a house last year with out doing any chases really accept changing boxes due to people who had done in the first place putting capping in, had a solid floor downstairs so everything had to drop down full height of wall Aswell

I have been reading this thread thinking you were all having me on. Been in the game 10 years and always put 20mm conduit in the chases to protect cable from plaster, plasterer and for future wiring...are you telling me I can just chase a small channel and clip it in??? Every company I've ever worked for has done this so was it just good practise rather than to meet the regs???

Every company in the north of Ireland does that with 20mm conduit, but it has never been a requirement. In fact it can be argued that it is not a good thing or good practice because it butchers the structural integrity of the walls.

Every company in the north of Ireland does that with 20mm conduit, but it has never been a requirement. In fact it can be argued that it is not a good thing or good practice because it butchers the structural integrity of the walls.
that's why oval conduit comes in. plaster depth.

I agree that it is infinitely better than using round conduit for that purpose.

I'd totally disagree with that statement, A 20mm conduit directly entering into the back box is infinitely better than using capping or that crap oval conduit for both rewiring or any future additions/changes. If you need to butcher a wall to sink a 20mm conduit in that wall then your skills need to be addressed. As for light switch positions soon being a thing of the past, i doubt that very much, certainly not for the vast majority of domestic households anyway....

As for light switch positions soon being a thing of the past, i doubt that very much, certainly not for the vast majority of domestic households anyway....

You may well be right, but look at it from a cost and convenience point of view and maybe not.

The ever reducing price of electronic controls and the vast array of wireless technology already in houses means that manual switching won't be either the most convenient or cheapest solution for ever IMHO. A lighting control 'hub' would provide switching and dimming controls for every zone in a room and every room in the house.

Analogue controls have passed into history in a wide range of applications (automotive, avionics, marine, industrial). The only thing keeping it out of domestic applications was cost. If a rewire is happening anyway, then central digital switching becomes cheaper than having the dozen or so switch plates and their associated hard wiring.

You may well be right, but look at it from a cost and convenience point of view and maybe not.

The ever reducing price of electronic controls and the vast array of wireless technology already in houses means that manual switching won't be either the most convenient or cheapest solution for ever IMHO. A lighting control 'hub' would provide switching and dimming controls for every zone in a room and every room in the house.

Analogue controls have passed into history in a wide range of applications (automotive, avionics, marine, industrial). The only thing keeping it out of domestic applications was cost. If a rewire is happening anyway, then central digital switching becomes cheaper than having the dozen or so switch plates and their associated hard wiring.

I'd like to see your basis of costings for that statement to hold water to be honest??

We have several areas within the hospital complex, where just such systems are being installed. I can tell you now, a conventional wiring and switching system is a fraction of the costs involved with the central digital switching system, and that's including an all steel containment system, not just plastic conduit drops....

Reply to following rewire ..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net