following rewire ..... | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss following rewire ..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

toofar

hello guys looking for your thoughts on the following

fully rewired a 3 bedroom tenement flat installed completely to the 17th edition wiring regulations issued completion certificate (niceic) i was 100% happy and confident on my job

customer tried to withold money as i hadent clipped any cabling for sockets and switches ,

i explained (yes it would be slightley better finish ) but i had already spoken to plasterer and he was comfortable with the job.

basically the customer made it a complete nightmare as if i had left an unsafe dangerous non compliant job

hyne site should have put clips in but jeez

See post 72! ID not reduced.

Would you like to put money on it?? Look through the PVC connector for yourself, i've never seen one, either male or female that doesn't reduce the ID, ...not by much granted, but still reduced, plus the connector always adds a potential cable sheath snagging point!!

Anyway, why go to the expense of connectors/fittings for just a ceiling to back box drop?? Fine if you are installing a fully embedded conduited system with singles etc, but were just talking about simple drops here....

Oval conduit buried in the walls chased out and fixed with galv clout nails is the norn herei n Cornwall
pc caping is very rare here but we do find a lot of new homes are dot and dab with cables clipped down the wall some argument recently whether dot and dab cables should be protected too
Personally I hate capping and cant understand why anyone would chase the wall more than they need to fit oversize capping that is difficult to fix and does not cover well with plaster

I was forced to always use oval and I can't stand it!!
Since I've been my own boss 20mm and a female adaptor, (previous pics being male adaptors...) looks neat, fully enclosed, rewirable. Job done. To the point I've done chasing boxes etc and wired and 2nd fixed at the same time!!!!

Strange how time andfashions change, being old being school I'm quite happy to pick and match providing itconforms . I would by default automatically opt for capping as ageneral rule , correctly installed it is possible to tie on andrewire a capped chase (if its absolutely necessary) and I guess itwas also the economics of the era I was trained in. each of themethods has advantages however if I were confronted with blueengineering brick for instance I doubt I would be in any great hurryto try and sink 20mm conduit into it. However for crap likeThermalite blocks (for instance) I'd far rather use conduit if onlyto gain more mechanical support for the socket box itself.. rewireperiod for PVC cable out of the sun light ? probably much longer thanyour going to live (and perhaps your grand children too) so is therewire potential really such a big issue ? Cables behind dot and dabclipped or capped or not ? I confess I cap it … mainly to humourthe local building inspector. It is his view that the mud they throwabout behind there is detrimental to the cable sheathing. I'm notsure I believe that, but for 50p of capping and four or five galvynails its not worth the quibble. So for what its worth I certainlydon't think 20mm conduit is a 'cure all' .. It weakens the wallstructure. capping still makes perfect sense as a compromise in mostsituations. I confess I have never tried the oval stuff .. so I reservejudgement

The way I was taught was capping on new unplastered walls and oval pipe in chases.

We had a wall chaser which cut a chase you could tap 25mm oval into with a nice snug fit so no extra fixing was necessary, quick and easy.

Reply to following rewire ..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net