Gas soldering iron | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Gas soldering iron in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doe any of you guys use gas soldering irons? Are they any good?
I would only need it for light use. Is there any that might be better than others?

I have one which I use for convenience very occasionally but I much prefer my 230v bench iron which maintains a predictable temperature and gives a far superior joint.

My gas iron looks kinda like this except it's black
[ElectriciansForums.net] Gas soldering iron

I also have a battery iron like this but I don't like it and never use it.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Gas soldering iron

Last edited:
Cheers. I think I'll go for a 230v one. Can't be bothered buying a gas one then have to buy a 230 one cos the gas ones poop!

My gas iron isn't 'poop', it's just difficult to control the temperature of the joint whilst you work, it's easy to overheat and make dry joints if you're not wide awake. Once in a while it's a godsend when working in places where there's no power available.

Now the battery iron is another story, it would definitely be in the 'poop' category. Even with brand new high-end supadoopa batteries it doesn't get hot enough to solder anything above 1mm and 2 minutes of soldering is about the limit before the batteries are flat.

i have a gas iron from b&q. it has a iron tip for small work and a fine flame end for bigger stuff. worst thing about it is burnt fingers when you change tips.

i have a gas soldering iron i bought 20 years ago from snap on when i was working as an auto electrician - still working like new can do 6mm cable no probs and for bigger stuff got real old lump of copper on a steel shaft that you heat with a blow lamp or camping stove thats ideal when when no power available

Reply to Gas soldering iron in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net