Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
Used to get gravy all over mine from chips peas and gravy dinners.

It was the fault of the buttered bap and me dipping in gravy. Dribbled all over steering wheel it stopped the horn from papping for about 6 months.

Do northerners have gravy with everything? I've got a sick vision of a bowl of cornflakes swimming in gravy :eek:
Anyway, little photo of the basic setup. No buttons anymore, all touch screen. Only 1 stalk too.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :)

I have never understood Chips with Gravy, most chip shops served limp fat undercooked and unappetising chips anyway without putting gravy on them and then have the audacity to advertise their chips are hand cut? I don't care if they are cut by a chimpanzee as long as they are crisp and not a soggy limp mess.

What's the yellow thing looking out the window?

You know, @Moley that ive got a Jess The Cat in my VW Transporter, which was a gift from my girls as my first van was a red Berlingo, and they thought it was Postman Pat's.

Anyway... they take the buttons off the radio, and place them on the steering wheel.... Cant understand that one.
Old vehicles... you knew the feel of the radio... you could adjust the volume, change channel... insert a tape (or CD) all without taking your eyes off the road... Now its just a flat smooth screen.... how you supposed to touch the right part?

Actually.... is that 2 sat navs? You must get lost an awful lot of times

Last edited:
Agree, have a look at any touch screen phone after a years site use and its scratched to bits and you can't see what you are touching, and don't spill your gravy on it. 😇

The yellow thing is Dennis the rabbit. Me and him have been together for the last 3, maybe 4 vans. We've traveled about 300,000+ miles together so far.
Yes, 2 sat navs. The Tomtom has much louder warnings for speed cameras and can be updated regularly. The van can either use the built in Sat nav (shown) or Android auto. Android auto had a nervous breakdown yesterday while going through Luton so it's lucky I still had Tomtom to fall back on. I remember when I had a huge collection of CDs in my van. Thing of the past now. They don't really cater for a memory stick now. Last Transit had a USB socket on the dash, out of the way, to plug your USB stick into. Now the only one is below the gearstick where it gets knocked all the time.

Dennis…. 🤣

The old boy came to the house with a cheque for me yesterday… the repair job with the rodent damage… which reminded me what his wife said to me while I was doing the work.

I was walking swiftly between the consumer unit at the front door, through the living room, dodging the furniture… into the kitchen then the utility room…. Back on forth, back and forth…

The old dear was sitting on the sofa doodling on a tablet.. she looked up and said something like…. “You’de be a good ballroom dancer, moving like that”

When I told my wife this, she couldn’t stop laughing. 😳

Back at the big stately home this morning… PATting the white goods in the private flat.
I did the EICR there last week, but it brought up several C2’s that need addressed.
I know the office there has the previous report from 5 years ago, and I want to see if these same things were picked up then.
(Some sockets not on rcd, bathroom lights not on rcd, and the rcd protecting half the board is not tripping within time)

Dancing eh? Perhaps we should all video ourselves and post them up. I only do 'dad dancing' though complete with the '70s Travolta look :oops:
I spent most of the day PATesting all the equipment on 3 vans and in our stores/workshop and inspecting our harness'. I really can't work out how anyone would want to make a living from PAT.

Today I'll be packing the car and heading north. We've got a cottage about 1/2 hour from Inverness booked for the next 2 weeks. We're only going as far as the lake district today as I was expecting to be working today. So, in two weeks time I'll be coming home bright red, not from the sun but from midge bites 🤬

Today is my 28th wedding anniversary. As we are in Scotland we are going to visit the place where my happiness came to a sudden stop. The town where we got married - Ullapool. It's really wiered how I still like the place considering what it did to my freedom 🤣

Hello everyone!! I feel like I have not been around for ages!! I have been busy in the background, (behind every great man etc) keeping everything at home ticking over.

How are you all?? Another school year over, 6 weeks seems like a VERY long time right now!!! It is so expensive to go and do anything, even the cinema costs about 40 quid!!

Anyone away or going away??

Today is my 28th wedding anniversary. As we are in Scotland we are going to visit the place where my happiness came to a sudden stop. The town where we got married - Ullapool. It's really wiered how I still like the place considering what it did to my freedom 🤣

Our honeymoon in ‘98 contained a couple of nights in Ullapool. The car we had at the time had the RDS radio…. And the only signal it could find was the local “loch broom fm”

We commented on the tin hut radio station… and lo and behold, driving into Ullapool, we drove past the tin hut the size of a garden shed with the aerial sticking out the back.

Hello everyone!! I feel like I have not been around for ages!! I have been busy in the background, (behind every great man etc) keeping everything at home ticking over.

How are you all?? Another school year over, 6 weeks seems like a VERY long time right now!!! It is so expensive to go and do anything, even the cinema costs about 40 quid!!

Anyone away or going away??

Scotland is already 3 weeks into their summer holiday… had a few days in aviemore at the beginning … will take the caravan away in October.

Big local agricultural show this weekend, not been for ages.
Adult ticket could be £25 or more now…. And the beer tent won’t be cheap.

This is a new one for me….

Customer had a faulty old ev charge point… he would supply a new one if I fitted it… ok no probs.
I managed to talk him out of one off Amazon that cost less than £200, so he went for an ICS from CEF.
No issue there… known brand.. not my first choice, but customer bought direct, so not me supplying warranty.

All connected, powered up.. Time to hook it up to the app.
Both myself and the customer couldn’t get the app to take the serial number of the unit… whatever we did. There was manual input, QR code input… nothing we did would allow the app to take the number.

Customer phoned the help desk, and apparently, the unit is so new, it hadn’t been put into their system yet.

I had to go off to another job and left him to it… Just got a phone call to say it’s up and running now.

This is a new one for me….

Customer had a faulty old ev charge point… he would supply a new one if I fitted it… ok no probs.
I managed to talk him out of one off Amazon that cost less than £200, so he went for an ICS from CEF.
No issue there… known brand.. not my first choice, but customer bought direct, so not me supplying warranty.

All connected, powered up.. Time to hook it up to the app.
Both myself and the customer couldn’t get the app to take the serial number of the unit… whatever we did. There was manual input, QR code input… nothing we did would allow the app to take the number.

Customer phoned the help desk, and apparently, the unit is so new, it hadn’t been put into their system yet.

I had to go off to another job and left him to it… Just got a phone call to say it’s up and running now.

You'd think part of their production process would involve updating their databases with the new serial numbers. In fact it ought to be an automatic part of that, or at least part of the goods in/out dispatch process.

How old can an EV charge point be?
Old enough to have been installed before the need for A type rcd, or old enough even for an earth spike.
At least 10 years old, possibly more. (That’s 1/10th of an entire century!)

And the old one was only a 3.6kW, with a very weak C20 mcb on a split board)

He’s now got a 7kW for his electric Porsche, type A rcd, SPD in a little box on its own.

Following on from the shenanigans of June 16th - 17th, my wife had an operation last Tuesday, and to celebrate her being able to eat normal food again, we went to our local pub for lunch yesterday. We were the only ones in there, as a result of the road between the pub and civilisation being closed for roadworks.
Only ones there, apart from a sparky from a local alarm company who was investigating why the fire alarms had gone off at 3.30 am, and doing a general test of the alarms and emergency lights.
The alarm tests apparently went OK, but I could see he was having a few head scratching moments with the emergency lights, so after I'd finished my meal, I told him about an emergency call out I'd made to the place on a Sunday morning, several years ago, when a tripping RCD had shut off power to most of the kitchen while they were preparing lunch for 60 odd bookings.
The place has a split phase supply, with no equipment using the 460V available, so effectively two separate supplies. I'd isolated the whole supply on the side with the tripping RCD, but found that there was a voltage present on neutral and phase, which I soon established was coming via the emergency light circuits, so I temporarily disconnected these, and went on to trace the RCD tripping cause, (which was a perm. live projecting through a choc block and touching the cover of a fluorescent light fitting, tht had been installed about two weeks before.)
I reported what I'd found to the pub management, stressing that it needed sorting urgently. Now, several years later.........

Back from 2 weeks in Scotland. It was one of the best holidays I've had in a very long time. The weather helped a lot. The daughter actually caught a bit of a sun tan! Back to normality today. Got a week at Didcot to look forward to.

It was one of the best holidays I've had in a very long time.
Of course it was. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I had a rather eventful weekend…. Started off remodelling the garage shelving… played around a bit with my new battery storage system and then raced off to the hospital after my 78 year old dad was blue-lighted there yesterday afternoon with dizzy spells and breathing problems. 🚑

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net