Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) | Page 29 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AM2; the GOLD standard, so much so we have 3 versions of it!

I rarely watch eFixx stuff; the series on conduit, Regulation Corner and few other gems but other than that I'll go to thier individual channels; GSH & Joe Robinson.
do you know what these 3 versions actually mean, I don't have to take it yet but quite confused which one I need to do later on

Same assessment, but less time allowed for apprentices on AM2S.

Okay so it mentions;
AM2S is for apprentices,
AM2 is for Mature Canditates,
AM2E is for Experienced Workers route,

I am doing my level 2 and 3 in colleges, then possibly my NVQ3 with XS Training,
will I need to complete the AM2?

Okay so it mentions;
AM2S is for apprentices,
AM2 is for Mature Canditates,
AM2E is for Experienced Workers route,

I am doing my level 2 and 3 in colleges, then possibly my NVQ3 with XS Training,
will I need to complete the AM2?

As Mike points out, it's not essential, but much depends on what you want to do. It's an industry standard assessment and not completing it could limit options down the line as many employers would expect it.

I don't see it as a great hardship for someone who has gone to the effort of gaining the qualifications required to get to that point.

Great point, Mike.

Not sure what I can tell you, other than it's still of no relevance to the simple and reasonable question asked.
The relevance is to point out to the reasonable questions asked that the assessments mean nothing in the professional world of qualified professionals.

The relevance is to point out to the reasonable questions asked that the assessments mean nothing in the professional world of qualified professionals.
isn't it required tho in order to obtain a JIB Gold Card? they're often viewed in the industry as someone who has the experience, which isn't necessarily true but that is how it is?

Does that not just show how broken the system is and the irrelevant's of the non qualifications available.
I don't think it's just the system in the electrical industry that is broken, most systems are controlled by co-orporations and they control what is "value". If nobody considered it of "value" then nobody would lend it any importance and that is the issue nowadays. Even money, is worthless if nobody attributed any value to it.

The only people who regard them of any "value" is those that have that particular piece of paper.

I think you've made your point and I'd question your motivation in trying to disuade a person from undertaking an assessment which may open many doors for them.

It's rather easy to make blithe statements, when it's not your own career that may be impacted by them.

What route did you take on your journey to becoming an electrician, Mike? Obviously it's a moot question, given the changes that have taken place ofver the years, but I'd be interested to know if it was a conventional route or one that presented many avoidable challenges.

I am not trying to dissuade anybody from undertaking an assessment, just pointing out that it is not a professional qualification, I have been out of industry for some time, but on most occasions would employ graduates to fill most positions, not for their qualifications, but for the fact they had demonstrated the capacity to learn.

When I started out it was 2360 part 2 which seemed to be the industry standard qualification if you wanted to demonstrate you were qualified in the trade , it was certainly the qualification most employers at the time wanted to see that you had

I am not trying to dissuade anybody from undertaking an assessment, just pointing out that it is not a professional qualification, I have been out of industry for some time, but on most occasions would employ graduates to fill most positions, not for their qualifications, but for the fact they had demonstrated the capacity to learn.

Fair enough and, as previously stated, your point is correct. That being the case, AM2 is still an industry standard assessment expected of those recently qualified by many employers.

Education and learning are broad subjects that can run and run, but I'd query what university degree you believe might provide adequate knowledge for someone wishing to work as an electrician? I can certainly think of some that would offer a suitable grounding in theory, which could be supplemented by learning specific to BS7671, but they'd most likely find themselves unable to carry out even the most basic tasks expected of an electrician.

While university graduates have, to some degree, demonstrated an ability to learn, this point somewhat undermines your own argument against an assessment of learning gained by electrotechnical trainees. Perhaps your learning was limited where differences between (and usefulness of) 'professional' and 'vocational' qualifications are concerned?

I also understand that you may have good reason for not wanting to disclose the route you took to becoming an electrician.

When I started out it was 2360 part 2 which seemed to be the industry standard qualification if you wanted to demonstrate you were qualified in the trade , it was certainly the qualification most employers at the time wanted to see that you had
It was a good standard back in the day

Now i don't have it and not sure whether i'm planning on taking it, but imo the AM2 is more relevant than the NVQ and even the C+G Level 3 qualifications because it actually assesses your ability to do the actual job under real life pressure, in an exam environment, with time restrictions.

They make you do isolation, testing, first and second fix, from drawings.

This is much harder to blag than an NVQ or the C&G 3 which imo aren't worth the paper they're written on. NVQ's are often written up for the candidate by someone else and C&G 3's are built so that even the most inept pass, because funding relies on colleges getting good pass percentages.

I know tonnes of 'qualified' (Level 3 C&G) electricians who can't do basics. I often (as an 'unqualified' spark with no great depth of knowledge) have to fix their work.

I've seen them fail to secure tails into main cut outs properly so the neutral is arcing, to wiring up meters the wrong way round, to holding isolators to the wall whilst drilling for plugs, leaving them so full of brick dust and useless that they need to be changed. One kid did 4 years at college followed by a year on site and can't do 2-way lighting. Says it 'just confuses me'.

Proof is in the pudding imo.

Now i don't have it and not sure whether i'm planning on taking it, but imo the AM2 is more relevant than the NVQ and even the C+G Level 3 qualifications because it actually assesses your ability to do the actual job under real life pressure, in an exam environment, with time restrictions.

I'd contend that it's the only part of modern day training that proves actual ability.

Given how many people complain that standards aren't what they used to be, I'm astounded that anyone would argue against assessment by an external body.

There should be no life pressure when working on a job, it's not an exam and does not have time restrictions, it's not a competition, getting it right for the customer is what counts.

There should be no life pressure when working on a job, it's not an exam and does not have time restrictions, it's not a competition, getting it right for the customer is what counts.
Yeah but the point is if you can't do basic testing or wire up a light on someone else's say so then you're probably not that great at the job and need more experience/confidence. AM2 tests your ability to do these things amongst others. You also get 8 hours so it's not like the countdown clock is being played in your ear while you're doing it.

You can manipulate any scenario to suit your argument as much as you like, but if you feel that type of pressure you are in the wrong work place, if a client puts you under that type of pressure walk away, life is too short to put up with unreasonable work practice's or time constraints.

Reply to Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net