Help new kitchen nightmare | Page 11 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Ner123ak

Hi
We have just spent quite a lot on having a new kitchen in another part of our house. This was a complete installation including new electrics plumbing etc.
It us now apparently finished and quite frankly the electrics scare me
The power cables are running in and out of the radiator pipes everywhere for a start. When I asked I was told it's ok it's heat protected cable.
Couple of pictures below I have many more from all over.
The hob and oven are just on a 13 amp plug and that don't seem right to me as well. The whole work is quite shocking but I will stick to electricals [ElectriciansForums.net] Help new kitchen nightmare[ElectriciansForums.net] Help new kitchen nightmare
Please could someone help me as I don't know what I should do
thnx v much for any advice
k

No certs getting them on payment. Will pay by credit card as advised so have some protection.
These two did seem better although wouldn't say it was unsafe. It just needed fine tuning lol.
Im happier but still something seems odd. Looked on their website and not even an email contact and very little info.
It was a pretty intimidating visit first the nicest guy from the kitchen company arrived with the two sparks then the main guy from the kitchen co turned up Maybe just me but all seemed a bit orchestrated Nice guy unknown pair then mr intimidating .
they are coming back with certs next week so I'm gonna try and get a local qualified guy that doesn't look like a gangster round before if I can
thnx all
Will pits any updates if I haven't ended up minced up and turned into pig food on a farm somewhere .

Oh I questioned the new guy on cables used not heat shielded and over pipes. He says no way do they get hit enough and no worries.
Lit is a lot neater but still crosses pipe in a place or two. He thought my other opinions were a bit over fussy
I hope it's all ok now.

No certs getting them on payment. Will pay by credit card as advised so have some protection.
These two did seem better although wouldn't say it was unsafe. It just needed fine tuning lol.
Im happier but still something seems odd. Looked on their website and not even an email contact and very little info.
It was a pretty intimidating visit first the nicest guy from the kitchen company arrived with the two sparks then the main guy from the kitchen co turned up Maybe just me but all seemed a bit orchestrated Nice guy unknown pair then mr intimidating .
they are coming back with certs next week so I'm gonna try and get a local qualified guy that doesn't look like a gangster round before if I can
thnx all
Will pits any updates if I haven't ended up minced up and turned into pig food on a farm somewhere .

Signed by the first muppet or the 2nd muppets?

What a shambles and I'm afraid you have been done by 2nd rate trades people

That is of course on the assumption that it is a ring final and not the final point/points on a radial??

I agree with an earlier post, something doesn't seem right with this post having just read from start to finish.
He said the oven on a plug was ok. It does say 13 amp in manual. I wasn't as worried about that.
The hob us connected to the switch He said it was 23 amps and although it had been connected to a 13 amp plug and it wasn't how he would gave done it. Maybe he didn't want to slag off the other guy I don't know but he connected hob to the red switch.
After he went to his suppliers which I found a little odd wouldn't you guys carry these sort of things around or you must spend more time going back and forth than wiring.
thnx

He said the oven on a plug was ok. It does say 13 amp in manual. I wasn't as worried about that.
The hob us connected to the switch He said it was 23 amps and although it had been connected to a 13 amp plug and it wasn't how he would gave done it. Maybe he didn't want to slag off the other guy I don't know but he connected hob to the red switch.
After he went to his suppliers which I found a little odd wouldn't you guys carry these sort of things around or you must spend more time going back and forth than wiring.
thnx

Did they run a new cable from the new isolator switch for the hob back to your fuse board?

thnx

The pic of the hob switch almost definately looks like a 20amp rated switch (but Ill stand corrected) ... you can apply diversity when calculating overall energy demands of the property but you cannot apply it to the switchgear... this should be on its own circuit with a 45amp switch ... as I have stated before, you really need independent inspection as we only see the surface visuals ...and going by them its rings some big alarm bells.

Do not pay!.. your final payment until you have had independent inspection from a non related competent and well established company, it appears they are sending bodgit electricians to cover the first bodgit electricians ---.. your clearly been fobbed off and the workmanship is very poor quality and could be argued unsafe.. but thats down to a deeper inspection.

We appreciate you coming back with updates but you ignore the best advice .... get it checked before you pay, and don't ask them or any linked companies to do it... get a fully independent company.

Signed by the first muppet or the 2nd muppets?

What a shambles and I'm afraid you have been done by 2nd rate trades people
Well I have stated in an email I didn't want certs from first guy. So I hope the second lot.
i did ask at the door if fully qualified. Just said yes but didn't show nothing.
Do you guys carry things for id. I thought you did.
thnx

The pic of the hob switch almost definately looks like a 20amp rated switch (but Ill stand corrected) ... you can apply diversity when calculating overall energy demands of the property but you cannot apply it to the switchgear... this should be on its own circuit with a 45amp switch ... as I have stated before, you really need independent inspection as we only see the surface visuals ...and going by them its rings some big alarm bells.

Do not pay!.. your final payment until you have had independent inspection from a non related competent and well established company, it appears they are sending bodgit electricians to cover the first bodgit electricians ---.. your clearly been fobbed off and the workmanship is very poor quality and could be argued unsafe.. but thats down to a deeper inspection.

We appreciate you coming back with updates but you ignore the best advice .... get it checked before you pay, and don't ask them or any linked companies to do it... get a fully independent company.
Thx.
I didn't ignore advice though I will be getting my own inspection. I just gave them a chance to rectify and then let them send an apparent independent when I was still unhappy.
Im aware how it's hard for you guys to confirm things from pics and words and haven't any intention of using or repeating comments. I just read the manuals to them. They are quite clear and I understand a few basics as soon as I looked I was concerned.
I joined here just for some help which I have had an incredible amount of and no one seems to think it's done correctly
Thnx
I'm looking for a local spark at moment. I'm in Hemel Hempstead if anyone's from here. I will of course pay full rates.

Good grief, I could tell you I'm a fully qualified gyneacologist but would you let me operate on your wife's lady parts? I'd guess not.
When you ask a tradesperson if they are qualified they will invariably answer "Yes" however, that level of qualification is open to debate. If you take a little look around on here you'll see many threads from people claiming to be fully qualified domestic installers but all that means is that they have done a very short course.
Get proof of qualifications, ask to see certificates. I wouldn't be offended if someone asked to see mine so why should they be?
Do yourself a massive favour, find a reputable electrician from recommendations from family or friends or reviews on the net (although take these with a pinch of salt) and get this (apparent) lash up checked properly.

Reply to Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net