House re-wire help | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss House re-wire help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Hi chaps,

Right...need some help.

Had my first call through for a house re-wire. As of yet i have not done any jobs of this magnitude and frankly dont want to get it wrong/lose the job. Unfortunately the lady left a message on my voice mail while i was working and i was unable to reach her when trying to call back so as it stands i know nothing about the job so you will have to bear with me on that front.

All i want to know for now is, (as i have only carried out CU changes, small installs, remedial repairs and testing jobs so far), what are the important and essential questions/information to gather from this lady in regards to the job so i can put together and a fair and representetive quote for her? I wouldnt dream of taking this on by myself, so two good friends both (professional sparks) currently on holiday in florida, have happily agreed to help me, both part peed and 17th edition etc.

I would hugely appreciate your input on this so i can approach her in a professional and trust worthy fashion.

Best regards, :grouphug:

Ben

Well check out 3.6.1 In the on site guide on P(21-22)...for TT systems ALL circuits must be given RCD protection mate and the only way to get discrimination would be tu use an s type ...upstream of the outbuilding feed.....which would then feed another RCD at the outbuilding end............

Really best to check out Regulation 411.5.2

Why wouldnt you just take a supply from a spare way in the C/U to an outbuilding because the chances are you would have to take the cable through places that need 30mA protection anyway. I can understand the need for a time delayed RCD on a TT if the C/U was a distance from the cutout and you had to run a submain.

Why wouldnt you just take a supply from a spare way in the C/U to an outbuilding because the chances are you would have to take the cable through places that need 30mA protection anyway. I can understand the need for a time delayed RCD on a TT if the C/U was a distance from the cutout and you had to run a submain.

... because when the RCD trips, you'll be in an outbuilding 100 feet away from the RCD. Thats why ...? It's damned inconvenient and potentially dangerous (e.g. middle of winter, elderly person, dark, raining). .... ?

100mA would only be used to protect tails if was a distance from cutout to cu.... fire aswell ????? whats the maths with this, i know it shouldnt be ore than 300mA, is 300mA the edge of fire tempeture or something...

Reply to House re-wire help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net