How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

For arguments sake lets assume it is a 3 bed semi with normal pendant lights and normal socket numbers and the house is lived in by a family of 4 people

Ive put in 2 days, but my days are 7am till 7/8am for occupied properties. 2 men, labourer and plasterer. I wouldn't take on any job where the tenant is actually IN the house during work, thats just mental.

Ive put in 2 days, but my days are 7am till 7/8am for occupied properties. 2 men, labourer and plasterer. I wouldn't take on any job where the tenant is actually IN the house during work, thats just mental.
I gave you a like due to the fact you keep coming back and to be fair you are a nice enough fella even though you talk bull. That said I cannot see your vote on the poll? I stuck a half day up there thinking you would vote for that haha, welcome to the site by the way, at least you can take a joke.

My 7-10 days is for a void . You can stick a lived in one where the sun don't shine !
I have only ever been unfortunate enough to be involved in just a hand full of occupied rewires , and I take my hat of to any of you guys that can keep the customer happy !
Having said that I am looking at doing one for one of my oldest clients this year . It has been on the cards for a good decade , ever since we found that a lot of his VIR had started to chit off !
It is a tenanted farm house ( more like stately home !) and he will let no one else but me to do it , I had a meeting before Christmas with the land agent and my client , in which I pointed out that I will price for a 3 bed mobile home to be supplied and connected in the yard and for 2 x 40ft shipping container's as well .
I have not finalised the pricing yet but from first impressions I will probably be allowing , give or take two and a half to three months for a pair rising to 3 men at times , on that job !

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JRCProperty.
Ive put in 2 days, but my days are 7am till 7/8am

so 2 days at 24 hours a day ?

thats a weeks work for a mere mortal

Or..... he could mean he works between 7 and 8am that would make it 1 hour per day for 2 days so that's 2 hours in total!

so 2 days at 24 hours a day ?

thats a weeks work for a mere mortal

sorry 7am-8pm...thats just normal to me. Admittedly when doing 3 rewires per week I have no social life and rarely see my wife !

- - - Updated - - -

I gave you a like due to the fact you keep coming back and to be fair you are a nice enough fella even though you talk bull. That said I cannot see your vote on the poll? I stuck a half day up there thinking you would vote for that haha, welcome to the site by the way, at least you can take a joke.

lol cheers.

I voted half day by the way ...thats 2 men a labourer a plaster and a 10 cans of red bull :p

Occupied rewires are murder. I hate them too but again we have rhythm and routine.

Recently (before my video) I invested in a hilti wall chaser with vac which helps. I use carpet protector over the full house if required and on worktops etc , dust sheets everywhere you can see and cheaper polythene dust sheets all tapped up..the place starts to look like a murder scene.

Proper carpets tools, hoovers, mobs you name it I have it. Its just about preparing..often Ill visit the customer the night before starting and do some marking out dust sheeting, moving furniture etc.

Its like anything, do it often enough and its second nature.

Far too many variables. Is the wiring surface or buried? Am I arranging chase filling or wall skims? Carpets or bare boards? Is every room stuffed to the brim with furniture and nick nacks or are they fairly sparse? Are the customers actually living there and at home during every working day or out at work? Are we removing and refitting kitchen furniture and worktops or just removing? Are we arranging a new kitchen or bathroom? Is the loft free or boarded? Is there even a loft? Are there any flat roofs to fish cable through? Any external wiring or lighting?

No one here can seriously give an exact, even a rough answer?!

It's taken me 5 days to rewire an unoccupied 7 bed detached farm house with granny annex, on the other hand it's taken me nearly a month to rewire an unoccupied three bedroom terraced town house! It depends on the team available, the spec of the job, the materials used, Christ, there's about a million different variables!!

It's a toughy I've say'd before I wired a nightmare house last year 3bed Attic converted bedroom 7 residents and in the day time a crèche !!!!! Had 9 days to do it finish'd on 9th day 7o'clock had on occasion work'd til 10 most days 7ish start at 8:30 ( on there request ) never want to be repeated , had started on my own realised I was p**sng in the wind . And got my father out of retirement ( not an ex sparky tho unfortunately )

Reply to How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net