How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

For arguments sake lets assume it is a 3 bed semi with normal pendant lights and normal socket numbers and the house is lived in by a family of 4 people

I was speaking to a spark at my local gun club the other day, works for an outfit that rewires houses and flats for the council. They have ONE day. Usually 6 blokes on it and they're well rehearsed in ripping out and chucking the new stuff in. He reckons the job's done right too. Apparent there's a plumbing team goes in afterwards, they get a day too. All in all, a three bed house gets a complete refurb in 5 days with penalty clauses for anyone who doesn't get their bit done in time. So there you have it, a well practised and large enough crew can get things done tres rapide.

Yes, When I did the council work for each individual house it was ...

mon - rip out
tues - rewire
wed - kitchen AND bathroom
Thurs - tiling
Friday - testing/finish.

The company was doing 35 REWIRES A DAY at one point !! then when we rewired on the tuesday, there was a kitchen fitted on the wed and so on and so on. Kitchen teams doing 5 kitchens per week , guys tiling 5 kitchens and bathrooms per week etc.

yeah i lived in a council flat and thats the routine they done and al tell u now ,it wasnt done to a good standard , within a few days the kitchen cupboard fell on top of me while i was makin the missus a cuppa and the thermostat blew up a few days after that , i opened it up to c what happened , the screw into the back box was touchin the live contact so they put a bit of insulating tape over it , it burnt thru and popped

yeah i lived in a council flat and thats the routine they done and al tell u now ,it wasnt done to a good standard , within a few days the kitchen cupboard fell on top of me while i was makin the missus a cuppa and the thermostat blew up a few days after that , i opened it up to c what happened , the screw into the back box was touchin the live contact so they put a bit of insulating tape over it , it burnt thru and popped

bad...who did rewire chalmers ?

Things like that should've flagged at initial verification on IR between R1 & R2, and that's why I work on my own and why I would never sign off anyone else's work. It's a common practice, I believe, to put tape over the heads of backbox screws. I use countersink pozi's myself, which negates the need in my experience, so long as it sits in it's own little dippy in the box.

Reply to How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net