How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

For arguments sake lets assume it is a 3 bed semi with normal pendant lights and normal socket numbers and the house is lived in by a family of 4 people

I had to tick over ten days. 40 years in the trade and 5 domestic rewires under my belt. Over 20MW industrial, but that’s out of the realm of the pole.

My first house I had for 20 years but never finished it as I would have liked. As per normal I had to bow to SWMBO.
She put a stop to the 7KVA generator with heat recovery.

Aye, I could get used to a Staffy cheesey oatcake breaky every day.
You can't beat the intimacy of a tiny maid's room...

If anyone can get me a proper oatcake I will love you for ever.

Not the thick stodgy things. They’re from Staffordshire!

Derbyshire 1/8[SUP]th[/SUP] thin.

Cooked in bacon fat as an aside to breakfast, wonderful.

Toasted, then made in to a wrap with cheese and bacon……… Food heaven!

PLEASE!

PLEASE!

PLEASE!

PLEASE!

I need a real Derbyshire oatcake!

Depends how many sparks and labours are mucking in. I am doing one now for my dad's mate un- occupied. Havn't been back near it in 8 weeks due to being on tour offshore in Nigeria for 4 weeks and on holiday in Thailand for 3 weeks so I think I maybe biased lol!

I have got a barn conversion that we started about 6 months before the new colours came out ( was that around 2005 , I think ? ) , it has been part lived in since about 18 months after we started it .
All circuit's which are live and bonds ect have been tested , but as of yet it has not been signed off as it has only been half finished ( Not even sure I should , as it was started before part pee !? ) , having said that if I count all of the buildings that adjoin the main house to make the courtyard ( some of these were started in 03/04 then it would probably swallow in region of 25 3 bed house's , the part that is currently being lived in would easily take about 12 of them at the moment !
When they first moved in the wife did her nut after using just about £600 of oil in the first week for the heating / water and Aga .
And to top it off , only 2 people live in it !
They made HIS money through selling most of his old farm off for a bypass and a lot of housing .

Edit ; Thinking about it , we were not even a limited company when we first started this one !

Me and a sparky are doing a 2 bedroom rewire and looks like it will take us 2.5 days but the owner (plasterer) cut the plaster out and made holes in the ceiling and took the odd floor board up so would prob be a good 3 days if he did nothing

I'm on my phone so can't vote or at least can't see how too but id say a good week and maybe a little of saturday thats just cos u know the customer will slow u down!!
Thats for a sparky and a mate.

On my own (student) 4 years 7months lmao!!!!!

Me and a sparky are doing a 2 bedroom rewire and looks like it will take us 2.5 days but the owner (plasterer) cut the plaster out and made holes in the ceiling and took the odd floor board up so would prob be a good 3 days if he did nothing

I'm on my phone so can't vote or at least can't see how too but id say a good week and maybe a little of saturday thats just cos u know the customer will slow u down!!
Thats for a sparky and a mate.

On my own (student) 4 years 7months lmao!!!!!

Get the tapatalk app its ace.

Last rewire I was on, took 1.5-2 days at most from bare brick.

Thats about 5 electrician's, apprentice and a labourer first day.

I have no idea why boss decided to do this as there was a lot of standing around doing nothing.

1 guy marking
Grinding
Chasing
Fixing boxes
2 pulling cables in etc

Get the tapatalk app its ace.

Last rewire I was on, took 1.5-2 days at most from bare brick.

Thats about 5 electrician's, apprentice and a labourer first day.

I have no idea why boss decided to do this as there was a lot of standing around doing nothing.

1 guy marking
Grinding
Chasing
Fixing boxes
2 pulling cables in etc

I have that app, the pro version, am I meant to be able to vote via it

I can imagine with 5 electricians it wouldn't take long at all!!

If u know how to vote via this app do me a favour and tell me

Update

What u piece of ----, clicked web view and saw the pole, each time I login it kicks me back here, after trying 4 times I gave up

Last edited:
I have that app, the pro version, am I meant to be able to vote via it

I can imagine with 5 electricians it wouldn't take long at all!!

If u know how to vote via this app do me a favour and tell me

Update

What u piece of ----, clicked web view and saw the pole, each time I login it kicks me back here, after trying 4 times I gave up

You need to set browser agent to desktop in web view

(Most browsers have the option opera definatly does)

I've been reading this post as well as the chap in Scotland regarding rewires and personally if I couldn't do a rewire in 5 days maximum I'd be ashamed of myself.
Obviously this is a basic 3 bed.
think about it your only talking of 10 lights, 25 sockets, cooker, and board.
furniture or not its easy money.
i believe the chap in Scotland with his 3 a week with the amount of labour he's talking about.
I worked on a 4 bed house that had been rewired in a weekend by 4 guys whilst the owners lived there.
Now it wasn't the neatest job but they hadn't cut any corners and everything was chased in so it can be done if you want to work hard.

it takes me about two and a half weeks i would say and i am not ashamed of myself or my work at all
i am more ashemed of the one week wonders that crash it in then wont go back and i have to do the making good

The house I finished off recently, had 12 storage heaters into a three phase board, 14 circuits into a 24 hour board and. Three base board and separate Contactor, all new tails etc to both boards. Needed 5x 50mm pipes dropped down cavity.

It had 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, downstairs toilet, conservatory, dining room, loung, large hall, kitchen, utility, double garage that needed full power and lights, 6 outside flood lights, 4 smoke alarms, interlinked, boiler circuit, alarm circuit, hob and cooker separate circuits.

The loft was boarded, all rooms downstairs were very expensive high polish wood floors, upstairs, all good quality carpet.

All fittings needed to be at new heights, all solid engneering brick walls even upstairs.

I know how long it took me, I'd be interested to know how long other people who take.

Oh, the house was empty, no furniture at all, only carpet etc. I think there were 42 double sockets, 16 light switches if I remember. Oh and a change over switch in the cupboard opposite the bathroom to witch between the three phase board and the 24 hour for the water heater.

This was a big job.

Come on JRC, how long? 2 days?

it takes me about two and a half weeks i would say and i am not ashamed of myself or my work at all
i am more ashemed of the one week wonders that crash it in then wont go back and i have to do the making good

Totally agree, I say upto 10 days, but sometimes it takes a lot longer, you never know you are going to find.

Reply to How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net