How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

For arguments sake lets assume it is a 3 bed semi with normal pendant lights and normal socket numbers and the house is lived in by a family of 4 people

I voted 6 days in case anyone wondered, usually it takes me around 5 hard days and I go back on a Saturday to test, certify and connect the finals, sometimes the following Monday to make sure the carpets and furniture is back properly, but 6 days I think about right for me.

Takes me a lot longer now than it used to , I was rewiring council houses back in the mid eighties , 2 off us did them in 2 days , 3 bed semis as well all surface mind you,. Private 3 bed semis on my own and flush would take me 2 weeks now a bit longer if there is excessive chasing ie solid floor on ground floor, I would add another week for that , but that includes me plastering up as you go ,,,

Can vary a lot, I haven't rewired that's many only been an apprentice but have done a 3 bed semi in 3 days two blokes but walls where soft so box sinking kit came into its own, floor boards up and down plus owner was renovating so there was no kitchen or bathroom but other times there's been four of us doin a similar sized house but has taken 6 days due to solid downstairs floor and engineering bricks so chasing took double long

I am working on a partial rewire in a partially furnished but unoccupied two bedroom bungalow, I am still doing it two years later. Customer is still making up mind about what they want to go where. I have forgotton what I was doing and despite labling cables have to work out what I indended to do with them on the odd occasion I return. To make matters worse the loft is a maximum of three foot high with 10" of stuffing laid over everything and the loft access is so small I have to up with arms over my head and when I come down it strips off my shirt. Not a pretty sight as I lost my six pack a long time ago.

My monster occupied bungalow with original 1930s panelling, solid wood flooring and 1ft depth under floor , plywood down upstairs and many other obstecales ended up taking 4 days, 2 men and labourer. 8am till 6pm average....customers happy heres her feedback ...."Fantastic team. Excellent in all areas, house was covered and kept clean during the work and cleaned after job. Nothing was too much trouble. Totally reliable for pre- work visits and work on site. The team worked non-stop to finish work as quickly as possible and believe me this wasn't an easy job. Took great care of 1930's paneling and rewiring of original lighting. Would recommend these chaps to anyone and have already done so. We moved out so trusted the guys to lock up & care for the property."

In comparison this week I have a 2 bed room pull through with all points in original places 1-2 days max.

10 Jan 2014

Reading through your reviews I notice you seem to have a rather high (compared to myself that is) percentage of customers who request you come back to sort out snagging issues.

I'm not having a go, I'm just interested as to why this is?

Reading through your reviews I notice you seem to have a rather high (compared to myself that is) percentage of customers who request you come back to sort out snagging issues.

If the typical rewire is two days including sheeting up, moving furniture, lifting boards, first fix, making good, second fix with board change, testing, certification, clearing/cleaning site, oh.... and earthing all metal capping.....is it any wonder that snagging issues frequently arise?

Im not sure what reviews you speak of to be honest ? on my first page of 73 reviews, I have 2 jobs that suggest we may have been back but I can't see many more ? There are obviously jobs we return to do parts that couldn't not be completed during rewire at no fault of ours but I can't see many reviews that say that?

Are you sure your reading the correct reviews ? I have 2/3 jobs which were 4/4.5 stars , the rest are excellent !

Without reading through them all again, as I recount it appeared that you had about three, four or five where you were called back to deal with snagging issues (all it seems were delt with well I must add). I only ask because of all the work I've ever done, if I remember rightly I've only had to revisit a new install once to sort out a snagging issue.

I can't see any that mention snagging ?

We did have one minor fault which they came back the next day and fixed promptly.
Any small issues he came back and sorted
He had to come back on a couple of occasions as the lighting was not as expected
I would maybe find your own plasterer as there were some concerns over the finish

and even if they did , 4/5 snags over 73 jobs ( around 60 of which are rewiring ) ..Id say that was pretty good !!

On the contrary, of 24 jobs reviewed over the course of a year, there were problems with four of them, that is 17% of jobs carried out for which you received a review. That of course doesn't include jobs where you didn't receive a review.

I'd say that's pretty bad IMHO, I just hope that 17% of jobs with problems you have to return to sort out isn't representative of your wider customer base!

My company has carried out hundreds, maybe thousands of pieces of work (ranging from changing light bulbs to rewiring factories) and now I've had a moment to think I can remember only three occasions in my whole career where I've had to return to a job to sort out an issue of my doing or the doing of the guys who carry out work under my logo.

I must make it clear to you that I'm not sitting here accusing you of carrying out substandard work, however what I am saying is that it is entirely reasonable to expect that someone who carries out work at such a fast pace to run a higher risk of creating problems and/or missing problems that arise compared to someone who works at a steadier pace. I would even go as far to argue that this is almost indisputable.

Imagine you are driving down a road looking for a small signpost indicating a turning that you need to make, you are far more likely to miss that sign doing 60mph than you are doing 30mph! A simple fact of life my friend! :)

On the contrary, of 24 jobs reviewed over the course of a year, there were problems with four of them, that is 17% of jobs carried out for which you received a review. That of course doesn't include jobs where you didn't receive a review.

I'd say that's pretty bad IMHO, I just hope that 17% of jobs with problems you have to return to sort out isn't representative of your wider customer base!

My company has carried out hundreds, maybe thousands of pieces of work (ranging from changing light bulbs to rewiring factories) and now I've had a moment to think I can remember only three occasions in my whole career where I've had to return to a job to sort out an issue of my doing or the doing of the guys who carry out work under my logo.

I must make it clear to you that I'm not sitting here accusing you of carrying out substandard work, however what I am saying is that it is entirely reasonable to expect that someone who carries out work at such a fast pace to run a higher risk of creating problems and/or missing problems that arise compared to someone who works at a steadier pace. I would even go as far to argue that this is almost indisputable.

Imagine you are driving down a road looking for a small signpost indicating a turning that you need to make, you are far more likely to miss that sign doing 60mph than you are doing 30mph! A simple fact of life my friend! :)

I think your nit picking to be honest...common snags for us are things like an old socket not removed behind a sofa or similar...nothing major, These are not "problems" as you describe. I think your scrapping the barrel...Im pretty sure others would agree but won't say. Anyway if it gives you further evidence and piece of mind that our rewires are not up to scratch, excellent knock yourself out.

73 reviews , 70 5 star , 2 4.5 stars and 1 4 star I think...Id say thats good in anyones book...The 4 star customer was everyones nightmare..I asked why despite a good review I got 4 stars ...he said I put cardboard in his bin and knocked a small chip off a brick when drilling out, which was then completely covered by the outdoor socket...cant please everyone ! Another 4.5 star complained because we accidentally broke a light fitting...it was replaced next day with no hassle or cost ...pretty harsh !

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're knit picking to be honest...common snags for us are things like an old socket not removed behind a sofa or similar

Well that's never happened to me?! It just goes to prove my point quite succinctly about missing things when working at speed! If you're working fast enough to miss a socket you're supposed to be replacing then you're potentially working fast enough to miss a whole range of things that you can't afford to miss!

Anyway if it gives you further evidence and piece of mind that our rewires are not up to scratch, excellent knock yourself out.

I never said they weren't up to scrach per se, I said you run a higher risk of them not being up to scratch! I've never seen one of your rewires so I cannot comment on your workmanship, if you read my post again I did make this point very clear.

Well that's never happened to me?! It just goes to prove my point quite succinctly about missing things when working at speed! If you're working fast enough to miss a socket you're supposed to be replacing then you're potentially working fast enough to miss a whole range of things that you can't afford to miss!

I never said they weren't up to scrach per se, I said you run a higher risk of them not being up to scratch! I've never seen one of your rewires so I cannot comment on your workmanship, if you read my post again I did make this point very clear.

Old socket ...not one we are supposed to replace..If Id forgot to install a socket then thats pretty major yeah. We get nothing like that.

Rewire in 2 days with minor snag (very rarely) or 10 days rewiring with no snags....no brainer.

Yeah you haven't seen our rewires so stop trying to suggest my workmanship might not be unto scratch. In fact D Skelton, I think you would be very surprised if you seen our our work.

Personally if I had someone come into my house and knock out say a kitchen re fit as an example in a couple of days . I seriously would be questioning the quality of the work , I think most people having work carried out in their property would feel the same , more so for electrical work as it should be carried out to set standards and regs.

Personally if I had someone come into my house and knock out say a kitchen re fit as an example in a couple of days . I seriously would be questioning the quality of the work , I think most people having work carried out in their property would feel the same , more so for electrical work as it should be carried out to set standards and regs.

The trouble is most people don’t even know the regs exist. As to the “electrician” adhering to the regs, they rely on the “electrician” (more fool them) to do so.

I would agree to an extent, but theres also a massive market full of people who don't think this way. Ive never had a customer question why Im so fast and from my reviews they are all happy.

You don't think that if you were doing the same job, lets say kitchen fitting , for around 10 years almost every day, you would get really fast at it while still maintaining quality ?

Why is that so hard for folk to grasp ? Completely blinkered! A guy on here has done 17 rewires in his career and takes 7-10 days to do them....Don't you think if he had done thousands, he could go quicker and still maintain the same quality ? Just because it takes him 10 days it MUST take everyone else 10 days ...nonsense.

For apparently intelligent people I just can't understand why this is hard to grasp....

Lets say for example it takes me 15 mins to gland in an armour .....compare that to a guy who glanded 40 armours a day for 10 years ....he would do it in 5 mins, quicker and better. Simple.

JRC, serious question for you.

Why if you are happy with your work and the amount you have done. Are you getting so involved in defending it? You also don't seem to accept criticism which has come you way.

Its not like we are talking to your customers about this or doing anything giving your business a bad name.

Yes I have my doubts that you have done thousands of rewires but that argument has come and gone.

Reply to How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net