how much compression / Weight can SWA take? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss how much compression / Weight can SWA take? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Evening Fellas

I'm doing a job this week wiring up some site cabins on a dockyard, I'm running a 10mm two core SWA 50 metres, there is a 9m section which is exposed to vehicles, one of them being a truck which emptys the portaloo .im thinking if protecting the cable with some sort of protection but was wondering what type of weight it would take?, cheers

Steam pipe with flat iron brackets welded to them. Stood up to 170Te Avling Barford dumpers driving over it for years.

Didn’t fair to well with a Caterpillar 998 with the bucket down though. But neither did the road!

there is a 9m section which is exposed to vehicles, one of them being a truck which emptys the portaloo
I'm picturing a 9 meter section that's exposed to vehicles as being a road of some sort. Even if it's low usage my original advice of dig a trench and bury a duct of some sort would still stand. The first vehicle that runs over a surface run cable will either crush it and short the internal wires or it will puncture the outer insulation and the armor starts corroding. Either way it's not going to last and I don't think that steel conduit is going to help. Also there will be a possible theft issue if it's laying on the surface.

9m section is an opening between the containers , it leads only to the septic tank , so only the truck will go there, I don't fancy the risk of cable damage so will go all out for cable protectors
What about swa in 25 steel conduit then inside 32 steel conduit!!

Evening Fellas

I'm doing a job this week wiring up some site cabins on a dockyard, I'm running a 10mm two core SWA 50 metres, there is a 9m section which is exposed to vehicles, one of them being a truck which emptys the portaloo .im thinking if protecting the cable with some sort of protection but was wondering what type of weight it would take?, cheers
well, lets put the theory to the test shall we...
just get this to sit on it....see if it leaves an indent on the cable....

[ElectriciansForums.net] how much compression / Weight can SWA take?

Elrick beat me to it,civil teams use this short and long term for cross-overs of services including community heating links,it's what you should use.

We have a couple of 8 m lengths of this stuff that we use for temporary supplies , it was out on a fire damaged straw barn rebuild , laid across the concreted farm yard for about 5 months last year with a 5c 2.5mm in it going to a slurry pump .
When we finally got around to doing the install , we pulled out the 5c and it was shredded and flattened to within a inch of its life !

The next extended temporary supply we do , i will be using a scaffold tube with couple of pieces of flat bar welded at the end and middle that will be fixed down to the ground .

It must be fixed or it will end up cutting through the insulation with traffic movement in time .

Reply to how much compression / Weight can SWA take? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back