How to terminate SWA!!!!! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How to terminate SWA!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

swl83

-
Reaction score
Found this today on the outside lamp post lights i was asked to change. This wasn't the way i was shown to terminate SWA!!!!!!!

[ElectriciansForums.net] How to terminate SWA!!!!!

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] How to terminate SWA!!!!!
    SWA.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 477
well look who it is !
its our old friend markc123.
glad to see you back.

i've missed giving your slack posts the --- raping they deserve.

;-)

Tbh, i actually bet you have - i can tell you i've NOT missed having to justify and back track on everyone of my posts to try and make you believe i know what im doing lol.

Im back now though, so you can get your spec's on and go over every single one of my posts with a fine comb :)

Tbh, i actually bet you have - i can tell you i've NOT missed having to justify and back track on everyone of my posts to try and make you believe i know what im doing lol.

Im back now though, so you can get your spec's on and go over every single one of my posts with a fine comb :)
and who says he owns a comb?
they might all look like ken Dodd over in the north west...

see this every day in street lighting. Worst cases is when aluminium cable is used and no anti-corrosion paste used so the aluminium armouring (earth) has dissolved to nothing at all, and the jubilee clips have dissolved away too.

Lovely.

The only instance i know of, where Aluminium armouring is used, is on single core cables. So i'm not sure what type of cables you're talking about here??

As for those lamp posts SWA cable fittings, if they are going to go that cheap, then they at least should provide suitably sized internal adhesive coated heat shrink tubing. Which will at least reduce the effect of the damp environment that seems to be present at most street lighting posts....

The only instance i know of, where Aluminium armouring is used, is on single core cables. So i'm not sure what type of cables you're talking about here??

Going back the late 60’s early 70’s there were Al tape armoured 3 & 4 core solidal cables.
They were awful to work with.

If you go back even further, steel tape armoured. They would slice your hands to ribbons.

Hello everyone, Well it very hard Job to work with SWA and most difficult is to terminate it. It is required that all connections must be correctly terminated using appropriate termination glands. Some proper glands are needed to terminate it. Like earth tag washer fitted between gland and glanded plates or enclosure.

Hello everyone, Well it very hard Job to work with SWA and most difficult is to terminate it. It is required that all connections must be correctly terminated using appropriate termination glands. Some proper glands are needed to terminate it. Like earth tag washer fitted between gland and glanded plates or enclosure.

Thanks for that, i wondered what I was doing!

We still have some PILK cables in my area, any idea what era these date back to?
I tested a series of 3 columns wired in PILK the other day and the IR was >200 LN LE NE , my engineer told me afterwards these were the oldest in our county!

Reply to How to terminate SWA!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net