Hybrid circuits | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Hybrid circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all, been pondering quite a bit lately about Hybrid circuits,especially 13amp socket circuits, the likes of lolly pop rings etc.

I don't want to get into arguments about the pros and cons and why people install them, that's been done to death, whether, I personally agree with this method is neither here nor there, no, my question is, " how are these circuits tested, and how are the results entered on the installation certificate?" for example if you have installed a lolly pop ring how is that described? as a ring or a radial.

I was just using a the analogy of a db supplying more than 1 final cct as opposed to a switch supplying the lollipop head in the middle of a final cct.

A spider/octopus circuit is just a radial with multiple spurs from the same point so just a pain for testing.

I can't get my head round a 'spider ring'. Sounds like a lollipop with a figure of eight ring to me, which surely can't be compliant.

Spider ring??

Pretty common on lighting circuits in days gone by. (joint box system)

Unfortunately not all spider circuits are radials, the ones I've come across whilst doing EICRs are usually rings.
Look in the board, 2 cables on a 30/32A OCPD, assume it's a ring.
Drop one of the socket fronts, one cable, must be a spur.
Drop all socket fronts, they're all spurs.
Can't lift up carpets, can only check for conductor continuity and Zs at each socket.
In one case the ring spider covered two floors.
Can't spur off of any of the sockets, not even back to back.
Could remove one of the sockets, replace with an FCU then feed two or more sockets from the FCU, but it's a pain if the socket is a double.

Unfortunately not all spider circuits are radials, the ones I've come across whilst doing EICRs are usually rings.
Look in the board, 2 cables on a 30/32A OCPD, assume it's a ring.
Drop one of the socket fronts, one cable, must be a spur.
Drop all socket fronts, they're all spurs.
Can't lift up carpets, can only check for conductor continuity and Zs at each socket.
In one case the ring spider covered two floors.
Can't spur off of any of the sockets, not even back to back.
Could remove one of the sockets, replace with an FCU then feed two or more sockets from the FCU, but it's a pain if the socket is a double.

Sorry. Don't get you. I may be being thick but your 'spider ring' just sounds like a ring withs spurs. Sorry if I don't quite get it.

Yes it can be used for volt drop reasons.

But a switch cannot be used in place of a DB! And I don't see why you would want to put a DB in the middle of a final circuit????

In a commercial kitchen the wiring was installed, including a section of a rfc to an island incorporating socket outlets. The stainless steel island arrived on site with a built in db. What's wrong with incuding the supply to the db in the ring?....that's what I did. When we're talking hybrids, we're talking adaptation.

A spider ring is a ring which runs round the building with a JB and spur for every point.
The ring doesn't run to any sockets, it just literally forms a loop which every socket is spurred from.

In a commercial kitchen the wiring was installed, including a section of a rfc to an island incorporating socket outlets. The stainless steel island arrived on site with a built in db. What's wrong with incuding the supply to the db in the ring?....that's what I did. When we're talking hybrids, we're talking adaptation.

Nothing wrong if calculations and loading a all check out ok

The guy was suggesting a DB in the middle of a final circuit with no apparent reason for it

Sorry. Don't get you. I may be being thick but your 'spider ring' just sounds like a ring withs spurs. Sorry if I don't quite get it.
Yes that's exactly what it is.
As such you cannot spur from any of the sockets, as they are already spurs.
You cannot without lifting carpets and floorboards check the terminations or joints, and I'm not sure they saved any cable or money compared to a normal RFC.

The original “Octopus” system

[ElectriciansForums.net] Hybrid circuits

[ElectriciansForums.net] Hybrid circuits

Now you would use an adaptable box with DIN rail connectors. It still has its uses as I found out many years ago.

Spider web is several radials from a central point with interconnects between various points of the radials. I’ve only ever known it to be used on 11KV systems. The protection is a nightmare.

Nothing wrong if calculations and loading a all check out ok

The guy was suggesting a DB in the middle of a final circuit with no apparent reason for it

Not having a go...just another example of how designing a circuit isn't necessarily shown in the picture book..:icon12:

Reply to Hybrid circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back